1. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 16:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well good luck with that when they have to get rid of the spent rods. Is there a plan in place to deal with that threat or do they just bury any such concern?
    I do not know what plans we have in place.
    But the current choice is nuclear or coal and I am not sure which is the worst of the two evils. Luckily Zambia runs entirely on Hydroelectric and has plenty of potential for more.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Jan '11 00:52
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I do not know what plans we have in place.
    But the current choice is nuclear or coal and I am not sure which is the worst of the two evils. Luckily Zambia runs entirely on Hydroelectric and has plenty of potential for more.
    Even that has a price to pay. I would say, locally, nuclear is worse ecologically speaking but not globally. Coal is the other way round. I just hope they get fusion going before we all sputter out of energy.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Jan '11 05:43
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I just hope they get fusion going before we all sputter out of energy.
    I think solar, wind and water will come down in cost over time and maybe even replace nuclear and coal before fusion arrives.
    There are still plenty of opportunities for hydroelectric, but politics tends to get in the way. Also, hydroelectric can also affect the environment negatively.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree