1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    17 Jan '16 10:075 edits
    http://phys.org/news/2016-01-technique-renewable-bio-oil.html

Check out the picture of that mobile on-farm biofuel production factory for farms in that link; not a sight you would normally expect to see on a farm (and I have worked on many farms). It looks very industrial and scientific for a farm but I bet this is the future.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Jan '16 19:431 edit
    The future is electric cars. Biofuel and 'the hydrogen economy' are both really bad ideas.

I think biogas made from farm waste products and human waste makes a lot of sense, but it is best turned into heating fuel, cooking fuel or electricity. Note that the key reason they are trying to develop biofuels is the fact that the US subsidizes them for all the wrong reasons. (the lobbying of the car industry most likely)
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 10:103 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The future is electric cars. Biofuel and 'the hydrogen economy' are both really bad ideas.

I think biogas made from farm waste products and human waste makes a lot of sense, but it is best turned into heating fuel, cooking fuel or electricity. Note that the key reason they are trying to develop biofuels is the fact that the US subsidizes them for all the wrong reasons. (the lobbying of the car industry most likely)
    I agree that 'the hydrogen economy' is really bad idea (for several fundamental reasons I will explain on request to anyone who wants to know) but you appear to contradict yourself a bit with saying biofuels are a really bad idea but then say bio-gas, which is a type of biofuel, is a good idea under certain circumstances (which I agree with. And I would describe those circumstances as when biofuel is made from waste and used for most purposes other than fuel for most types of transportation other than aircraft)
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 10:35
    Originally posted by humy
    but you appear to contradict yourself a bit with saying biofuels are a really bad idea but then say bio-gas, which is a type of biofuel, is a good idea under certain circumstances (which I agree with. And I would describe those circumstances as when biofuel is made from waste and used for most purposes other than fuel for most types of transportation other than aircraft)
    To clarify, I am not against all biofuels. I am against developing biofuels or subsidizing them specifically for use in transport. There are a number of problems with doing that:
    1. It typically uses productive land that could be put to better use.
    2. It is often a scam whereby significant amounts of fossil fuels are used in the production process.
    3. It continues to promote the internal combustion engine whose day has come and gone.
    Its time for electric cars. (and soon after that, planes)

I accept that countries like Brazil with large biofuel production already in place should not discontinue it suddenly, but I do think that as electric cars replace fuel based cars they should gradually phase out biofuels.

Note that the article you originally linked pointed out that one of the drivers for biofuel production in the US is a desire to be energy independent. There are better ways to achieve this. The problem is the farm lobby in the US is extremely powerful as is the automotive industry lobby.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 10:37
    Originally posted by humy
    And I would describe those circumstances as when biofuel is made from waste and used for most purposes other than fuel for most types of transportation other than aircraft)
    If I read you correctly then you should object to the biofuel from the OP linked article.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree