Spaceballs found in distant galaxy

Spaceballs found in distant galaxy

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Jul 10

Originally posted by twhitehead
Here is one possible candidate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene

From the article:
"In this regard, graphene has been referred to as an infinite alternant (only six-member carbon ring) polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH)."

Of course Diamonds are something similar but in 3D.
I wonder if you could engineer DNA to connect telomeres and make one infinite molecule that way. Would it be strong? Would it conduct electricity?

F

Moves
24 Jul 10

Originally posted by sonhouse
I wonder if you could engineer DNA to connect telomeres and make one infinite molecule that way. Would it be strong? Would it conduct electricity?
What exactly do you mean by an infinite molecule? Like *infinite* or just like *very big*?

An interesting philosophical question, or maybe a mathematical question:

Is it theoretically possible to have two infinite big molecules in the universe?
Or is there atoms enough just to have one infinite molecule?

I say that there would be only one infinite molecuule. And the shape of it would be a black hole, due to its own gravitation. The rest of the universe would be empty, feezing cold, and black.

Am I wrong with this? Debate...

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Jul 10

Originally posted by FabianFnas
What exactly do you mean by an infinite molecule? Like *infinite* or just like *very big*?

An interesting philosophical question, or maybe a mathematical question:

Is it theoretically possible to have two infinite big molecules in the universe?
Or is there atoms enough just to have one infinite molecule?

I say that there would be only one infin ...[text shortened]... est of the universe would be empty, feezing cold, and black.

Am I wrong with this? Debate...
I was thinking of an infinitely LONG molecule and if one existed, it would be more like the gravitational fault lines of string theory, unable to make a black hole because the self gravitation would be spread out on a long line. In our universe, it could never be really infinite due to the finite size of our universe.

It could, if wrapped up in itself, become a black hole I would think but it would take a long time for the hole to take shape since the outer reaches of such a molecule would be in the outer reaches of the universe so the gravitational attraction would start at the 'center' (whatever that means).

If it was in our universe if would fail the 'infinite' test.

Cape Town

Moves
24 Jul 10

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Only if the universe itself is infinite, in which case you could have an infinite number of infinite molecules.

But the universe isn't infinite, so infinite molecules cannot exist.

Cape Town

Moves
24 Jul 10

I was thinking of an infinitely LONG molecule and if one existed,.
I gave examples of molecules that have no theoretical limit (other than collapse due to gravity.) There are many other such molecules including DNA, and nano-tubes.

What is the largest known molecule that does not include Carbon?
Does any other element form sheet or matrix molecules?

silicon valley

Moves
24 Jul 10

But how did they get in your body in the first place? They are apparently not common in our environment. If we can detect them in a 'distant galaxy', surely we can detect them in the air, or environment on earth? Yet the article claims the only known ones on earth were made in the lab.
if there are huge belts detectable many light years from here, there's got to be at least a few floating around in my (quite enviable) bod.

that doesn't make those few detectable by modern equipment, especially if no one looke for them before.

finding a few inert molecules?!?

it'd be like using the Hubble to try to read a driver's license (NOT license plate) from 120 miles up, only worse.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Jul 10

Originally posted by zeeblebot
if there are huge belts detectable many light years from here, there's got to be at least a few floating around in my (quite enviable) bod.

that doesn't make those few detectable by modern equipment, especially if no one looke for them before.

it'd be like using the Hubble to try to read a driver's license (NOT license plate) from 120 miles up, only worse.
Inside the dude's wallet🙂

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
25 Jul 10

Just think about it: the infinite molecule! What would be the shape?
Consider this possibility - it would have a region that catalyzes every conceivably possible reaction. It would be a super Swiss Army Enzyme!

Cape Town

Moves
25 Jul 10

Originally posted by zeeblebot

They can be seen in space by analyzing the spectra. If there are enough in the atmosphere to have put a few in your body, you would think we could find them by spectra too?

silicon valley

Moves
31 Jul 10

They can be seen in space by analyzing the spectra. If there are enough in the atmosphere to have put a few in your body, you would think we could find them by spectra too?
they'd have to vaporize me, first. i think i'd have something to say about that.

s
Astrophysicist

Outer Space

Moves
06 Aug 10

Neutron stars are kind of like giant atomic nuclei, so maybe we should consider a neutron star binary system to be in the running for biggest space molecule?

s
Astrophysicist

Outer Space

Moves
06 Aug 10

I gave examples of molecules that have no theoretical limit (other than collapse due to gravity.) There are many other such molecules including DNA, and nano-tubes.

What is the largest known molecule that does not include Carbon?
Does any other element form sheet or matrix molecules?
Silicon does, and I think any other element in the same family as carbon, as well.