Spacetime as a superfluid:

Spacetime as a superfluid:

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
23 Apr 14

http://phys.org/news/2014-04-liquid-spacetime-slippery-superfluid.html

MB

Moves
25 Apr 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
It reminds me of aether theory. It was often compared to a fluid or even a solid, but few people talk about the aether anymore. It seems to be an outdated theory.

h

Moves
25 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Metal Brain
It reminds me of aether theory. It was often compared to a fluid or even a solid, but few people talk about the aether anymore. It seems to be an outdated theory.
I assume the OP theory would be unlikely to be an "outdated" theory in particular if it is relatively new.
Do you understand the physics of this new theory to form a qualified opinion on it? Personally I don't ( its over my head ) thus don't form an opinion on it. I think it is much more rational ( and humble ) to admit ignorance to oneself of something than pretend to oneself that you know.

MB

Moves
27 Apr 14

Originally posted by humy
I assume the OP theory would be unlikely to be an "outdated" theory in particular if it is relatively new.
Do you understand the physics of this new theory to form a qualified opinion on it? Personally I don't ( its over my head ) thus don't form an opinion on it. I think it is much more rational ( and humble ) to admit ignorance to oneself of something than pretend to oneself that you know.
It is outdated.

Superfluid is just another aether theory. Ever since the Michelson–Morley experiment most abandoned the idea, but superfluid is just a new excuse to ignore the Michelson–Morley experiment and carry on the old aether theory.

Moves
27 Apr 14

It is outdated.

Superfluid is just another aether theory. Ever since the Michelson–Morley experiment most abandoned the idea, but superfluid is just a new excuse to ignore the Michelson–Morley experiment and carry on the old aether theory.
Bzzzt! Wrong! Thankyou for playing, better luck next time.

Moves
27 Apr 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
It's good that we are starting to get G.U.T.s that are making testable predictions...
Or rather, that people are finally getting to grips with the maths to be
able to generate testable predictions from them.

MB

Moves
27 Apr 14

Originally posted by googlefudge
Bzzzt! Wrong! Thankyou for playing, better luck next time.
Is this what the OP is about?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfluid_vacuum_theory

h

Moves
27 Apr 14
1 edit

It is outdated.

Superfluid is just another aether theory

No, it obviously isn't. Only the aether theory is the aether theory.
but superfluid is just a new excuse to ignore the Michelson–Morley experiment

That is a stupid quote; like saying superfluid is just a new excuse to ignore the Miller–Urey experiment. This Superfluid theory does not contradict the result of the Michelson–Morley experiment and the two have not much more in common other than they are about physics and something to do with space and time.
If you claim that this Superfluid theory DOES contradict the result of the Michelson–Morley experiment, please explain HOW so here and give SPECIFIC physical equations to show exactly WHERE this contradiction lies....

h

Moves
27 Apr 14

Is this what the OP is about?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfluid_vacuum_theory
pity you cannot both read it and understand any of it.

K

Germany

Moves
27 Apr 14

It is outdated.

Superfluids have nothing to do with the aether.

MB

Moves
27 Apr 14

Superfluid is just another aether theory

No, it obviously isn't. Only the aether theory is the aether theory.
but superfluid is just a new excuse to ignore the Michelson–Morley experiment

That is a stupid quote; like saying superfluid is just a new excuse to ignore the Miller–Urey experiment. This Superfluid t ...[text shortened]... W so here and give SPECIFIC physical equations to show exactly WHERE this contradiction lies....
"This Superfluid theory does not contradict the result of the Michelson–Morley experiment"

I never said it did. Hence calling it a superfluid, because a superfluid does not have drag. Here is an excerpt from the wiki page I posted:

" If the energies and momenta are below the excitation threshold then the superfluid background behaves like the ideal fluid, therefore, the Michelson–Morley-type experiments would observe no drag force from such aether."

For something that has nothing to do with the aether there sure are a lot of comparisons being made to it. If it is not another aether theory then what is it? ...and don't say superfluid. I can rename anything I want as well, it doesn't change anything in reality.

A medium either exists or it doesn't. Which is it?

h

Moves
27 Apr 14

"This Superfluid theory does not contradict the result of the Michelson–Morley experiment"

I never said it did. Hence calling it a superfluid, because a superfluid does not have drag. Here is an excerpt from the wiki page I posted:

" If the energies and momenta are below the excitation threshold then the superfluid background behaves like the ide ...[text shortened]... l, it doesn't change anything in reality.

A medium either exists or it doesn't. Which is it?

For something that has nothing to do with the aether there sure are a lot of comparisons being made to it

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/analogy

MB

Moves
27 Apr 14

For something that has nothing to do with the aether there sure are a lot of comparisons being made to it

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/analogy
Is superfluid a medium or not? Simple question.

If it is not a medium it is not a superfluid. If they want to say it is "like" a superfluid that is fine I guess, but that just makes the article meaningless and it should be called the vacuum instead.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Apr 14

If it is not a medium it is not a superfluid. If they want to say it is "like" a superfluid that is fine I guess, but that just makes the article meaningless and it should be called the vacuum instead.
But using the term 'vacuum' conjures up visions of classical physics with its continuous nature down to Planck level.

This superfluid model is talking about spacetime as quantified and therefore grainy, unlike the vacuum of classical physics.

h

Moves
27 Apr 14
6 edits

Is superfluid a medium or not?

yes. How does that logically imply that it is actually aether? It doesn't. You clearly imply a false inference.
Water is also a medium. So water is aether? -false inference.
space-time without aether as Einstein thought of it is also a medium. So space-time without aether is aether? -false inference AND logical contradiction.
Now do you see the flaw in you logic? aether was used as an analogy. X used as an analogy to Y does not imply X IS Y.
this superfluid, if it exists, is NOT aether.