1. Standard memberpawnpawonline
    Please Pay Attention
    Lethabong
    Moves
    31 May '20 05:52
    https://www.space.com/spacex-demo-2-astronauts-space-station-docking-webcast.html

Isn't this the start of the US move on the Moon, then Mars?
    Should be interesting what the reactions will be of the Flatearthers, when the US flag is planted on Mars...
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 May '20 06:09
    @pawnpaw

Why can't Mars be flat too?
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    31 May '20 12:54
    @pawnpaw said
    https://www.space.com/spacex-demo-2-astronauts-space-station-docking-webcast.html

Should be interesting what the reactions will be of the Flatearthers, when the US flag is planted on Mars...
    The Moon, yes.
    Mars? Why go there?

Mars has no magnetic field. The moon is closer.
  4. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 May '20 15:51
    @metal-brain said
    The Moon, yes.
    Mars? Why go there?

Mars has no magnetic field. The moon is closer.
    Go to Mars because Elon wants to.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 May '20 18:291 edit
    @Metal-Brain
    Why go to Mars? For one thing, if the big asteroid hits Earth, humans are history.
    Having a thriving civilization on Mars, that is, independent from Earth supplies, an asteroid can obliterate Earth but at least humans will still be around. It's simple survival instinct, surviving in a way never before possible.

We all know what happened 66 million years ago and it can happen again. And of course we will be on the lookout for such things and maybe able to deflect it but that is not certain.

Also, the search for life outside of Earth will go on bigtime when we get to Mars. If we find any kind of life there, microbes, most likely, does it have our style of DNA? What would that say to the origin of life story?

And going further out into the solar system to places like Europa with its spewing of water into space, is there life in the underground oceans there and maybe we can just swing by with a probe and pick up water sprayed out and maybe find microbes there and the same question if we actually find life there, and then the implications of finding life elsewhere in the universe.
    Pretty good reasons for going to Mars seems to me.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 May '20 18:53
    @pawnpaw said

Spreading the China Virus to other worlds, as well. What a good idea. Lock-down doesn't apply to the rich and "excentric", does it?
  7. Standard memberpawnpawonline
    Please Pay Attention
    Lethabong
    Moves
    31 May '20 18:55
    @wildgrass
    And Elon knows that Trump always has new property in mind...
  8. Standard memberpawnpawonline
    Please Pay Attention
    Lethabong
    Moves
    31 May '20 18:57
    @Shallow-Blue

I believe the present astronauts in the Dragon have been tested for covid19, up to the last minute. No problem there.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 May '20 20:40
    @pawnpaw
    I just hope when the time comes to go to Mars they have a nuclear supply to power a VASIMR style rocket getting them to Mars in a month instead of 7 or 8 months. The faster they get to Mars the less bad side effects of the journey.
    Like the radiation load even with a benign sun period.
    If they get hit with a major storm, the craft will arrive fine but the crew would be dead.
    I think it is folly to even plan for a trip with normal rocketry with a trip time of 3/4ths of a year.
    They know how to make such a powerful ion rocket and that should be the first goal, perfecting such a device.
    It might be a suicide mission the way things are going now.

One interesting idea would be, once they are there in a permanent way, conductors, hopefully superconductors, placed around the Martian equator, can recreate the original Martian magnetic shield to protect the whole planet from the ravages of the sun.
    Left as it is, suppose a couple hundred years from now they start or are in the middle of Terraforming Mars, without a magnetic shield, whatever atmosphere they manage to make would be relatively short lived.
    But a planet wide magnetic field would allow a permanent atmosphere.
    So maybe a thousand years from now they can walk around Mars like we do now on Earth.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '20 02:111 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Why go to Mars? For one thing, if the big asteroid hits Earth, humans are history.
    Having a thriving civilization on Mars, that is, independent from Earth supplies, an asteroid can obliterate Earth but at least humans will still be around. It's simple survival instinct, surviving in a way never before possible.

We all know what happened 66 million years ag ...[text shortened]... tions of finding life elsewhere in the universe.
    Pretty good reasons for going to Mars seems to me.
    People cannot thrive on a planet with no magnetic field and long days and nights. When our species is capable of that in the future we will also be able to change the course of asteroids to avoid impacting the Earth. It would be easier to establish a colony on the Moon. Mars is too far away for a manned mission to be safe. Robots are the way to go there.
  11. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    01 Jun '20 03:02
    @metal-brain said
    People cannot thrive on a planet with no magnetic field and long days and nights. When our species is capable of that in the future we will also be able to change the course of asteroids to avoid impacting the Earth. It would be easier to establish a colony on the Moon. Mars is too far away for a manned mission to be safe. Robots are the way to go there.
    A moon colony is a good first step, but it would be better to build the colony inside the moon, not on it. Underground cities would be orders of magnitude safer than on the surface. Then the next step could be to send robots to Mars to build underground cities there, and when done, we start populating them with adventurous families. The third step would be to build cities inside asteroids.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '20 06:17
    @bunnyknight said
    A moon colony is a good first step, but it would be better to build the colony inside the moon, not on it. Underground cities would be orders of magnitude safer than on the surface. Then the next step could be to send robots to Mars to build underground cities there, and when done, we start populating them with adventurous families. The third step would be to build cities inside asteroids.
    What about O’Neill Cylinders?

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/jeff-bezos-foresees-trillion-people-living-millions-space-colonies-here-ncna1006036
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Jun '20 08:11
    @pawnpaw said
    @Shallow-Blue

I believe the present astronauts in the Dragon have been tested for covid19, up to the last minute. No problem there.
    And all the equipment? All the experts contradict themselves on how long the China Virus can survive on which surfaces.

And the ground crew that had to work extra hard to get Elon's extra-hard off the ground? Were they really essential to anything but the Musky ego?

Nope, I find this whole self-stroking stunt spectacularly irresponsible, on a level with Dominic Cummings and Donald Trump.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Jun '20 16:50
    @Shallow-Blue
    Well it's done, in a couple of weeks we will find out if you are right. I wonder if there are masks on ICC?
  15. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Jun '20 17:16
    @shallow-blue said
    And all the equipment? All the experts contradict themselves on how long the China Virus can survive on which surfaces.

And the ground crew that had to work extra hard to get Elon's extra-hard off the ground? Were they really essential to anything but the Musky ego?

Nope, I find this whole self-stroking stunt spectacularly irresponsible, on a level with Dominic Cummings and Donald Trump.
    All the experts contradict themselves on how long the China Virus can survive...

Of course we have science that typically takes three years being done in 3 weeks, so there is uncertainty. But I have not heard self-contradictory information on this front. Do you have a reference?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree