1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Dec '10 15:12
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I don't reject the claim that the universe could be older than I think it is, my
    claim is I don't know how old it is, but I have a belief about it.
    Kelly
    And don't you think the hundreds of scientists working on that might know a bit more than you?
  2. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    07 Dec '10 18:00
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    “...You are assuming time, rates ...”

?

Exactly what am I assuming about time that you are not that is relevant to my post (Like me, despite the fact that you once said time does not exist, I assume you assume time exists else you wouldn't say things like “...stars and the light were made at the same time...”; right? -I mean, how could there b ...[text shortened]... ee a distant star explode today, it could not have exploded at any time after its formation?
    KellyJay's silence on this is rather telling.
    He obviously hasn't thought through this hypothesis of his as, as I have exposed, it clearly doesn't make a whole lot of logical sense.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Dec '10 08:25
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I don't reject the claim that the universe could be older than I think it is, my
    claim is I don't know how old it is, but I have a belief about it.
    Kelly
    I am aware of that. But you are so focused on it that you are not reading what people are actually saying.
    Once again:
    The thread is about the fact that to the astronomer there appears to be stars that are billions of light years away thus causing a problem for anyone who believes the universe is younger than that.
    You suggested that the light was created in transit.
    I (and others) have pointed out that if the light was created in transit as you suggest, it implies that any events observed when observing the light, did not actually happen.

I am not claiming that God invented history, I am not claiming to know the age of the universe, I am merely pointing out the logical conclusion that follows from your suggestion.
    I am also pointing out that if you are willing to accept that logical conclusion, then you should be willing to accept an identical solution to other well known problems that face those who believe a the universe is younger than billions of years old eg the apparent age of fossils.

But you are so focused on your usual line of 'all beliefs are equal and we are all making assumptions' that you cant seem to follow the above.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree