speedometer

Standard memberRemoved
Science 02 Feb '12 02:47
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Feb '12 02:47
    Driving without a speedometer is liberating, at first you fight to control your speed, but eventually you just give up and drive. Why do we think that is the case?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Feb '12 05:081 edit
    and while we are at it

Given the matrix

D = [.07, .20, .31, .19, .27; .35, .24, .16, .13, .05; .09, .25, .21, .29, .23; .26, .25, .06, .24, .15; .22, .14, .18, .08, .21]

Using the Leontief Input - Output Model

with idustries

1. Auto
    2. Steel
    3. Electricity
    4. Coal
    5. Chemical

How would you decipher the following question.

Determine the industry on which the steel industry is most dependent.

That is to say, will steel be the input or output?

The way I am reading it it could be either or.
    I read it as

Steel is most dependent on Electricity for its production, and/or is most dependent on Auto for its consumption.

To answer the question as it is stated should I then compare it its 2 largest dependencies against each other...

That is to say Steel is most dependent on Auto, because Auto > Electricity ( .35>.25) ?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 05:50
    By the way, I'd still like to discuss the first question...
  4. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 10:06
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    Driving without a speedometer is liberating, at first you fight to control your speed, but eventually you just give up and drive. Why do we think that is the case?
    Pfft...
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 10:21
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    Pfft...
    Not exactly the depth of thought I wanted to reach, but its a start.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Feb '12 17:281 edit
    Not exactly the depth of thought I wanted to reach, but its a start.
    I guess he is referring to the sound of the car going by at 200 Km/hr because his speedo broke....
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 18:36
    It might be because the engineers who design roads recommend speed limits (or design them to specified speed limits) that match most people's kinesthetic (balance, reaction to accelerative and centrifugal forces, etc.)and reaction-time comfort zones, with respect to their driving speed.

I live in an area with a lot of hills and curved streets, by the way, so this explanation seems to jump out at me.

But especially, after driving for years with a speedometer, you may have internalized the visual, aural, and kinestethic effects of driving as it relates to speed. Instead of looking at the speedometer to judge speed, we judge it "automatically."
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 18:47
    The problem isn't that you go with the wrong speed, according to the current conditions. The problems arise when you and the patrol police don't agree.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 21:04
    Originally posted by JS357
    It might be because the engineers who design roads recommend speed limits (or design them to specified speed limits) that match most people's kinesthetic (balance, reaction to accelerative and centrifugal forces, etc.)and reaction-time comfort zones, with respect to their driving speed.

I live in an area with a lot of hills and curved streets, by the way, s ...[text shortened]... to speed. Instead of looking at the speedometer to judge speed, we judge it "automatically."
    I agree with this, I distinctly remember bieng aware of the low frequency in checking the speedometer before it was broke. I wonder what the general trend in my driving speed will be relative to what is legal as I continue to drive without one?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 21:11
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    The problem isn't that you go with the wrong speed, according to the current conditions. The problems arise when you and the patrol police don't agree.
    Thats what I was refering to when I said it was liberating, its nice to not worry about breaking rules...but I don't think they will agree.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 22:08
    Thats what I was refering to when I said it was liberating, its nice to not worry about breaking rules...but I don't think they will agree.
    I drive carefully, yes I do. But I know friends, often younger males, that doesn't have the ability to foresee what could happen if they drive to fast around a closed corner if they meet someone. I feel unsafe when I go with them and they drive. They drive carelessly.

Because of some hotheads we have to have the speed restrictions. If they kill themselves, fine, but when they hit other people, I object.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Feb '12 03:38
    I drive carefully, yes I do. But I know friends, often younger males, that doesn't have the ability to foresee what could happen if they drive to fast around a closed corner if they meet someone. I feel unsafe when I go with them and they drive. They drive carelessly.

Because of some hotheads we have to have the speed restrictions. If they kill themselves, fine, but when they hit other people, I object.
    Governace just confuses me...The fear of kaos institutes it, and simultaneosly as kaos is replaced by order, a fear of the instituted order replaces the original fear of kaos...end result we are always afraid?
  13. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    09 Feb '12 05:47
    Upon reflection I suppose the only reason why I ever look at my speedometer is to make sure I'm not going much more than 10 mph over the speed limit -- and that's only because of a desire to avoid a heightened probability of a citation, not because the speed limit has any inherent validity.

Speed limits are instituted primarily as municipal revenue enhancement devices, and not because of safety concerns which at best are secondary. It is ironic: having to check a speedometer constantly because of speed limits almost certainly is a form of distracted driving that increases the risk of accidents and fatalities. I wonder how many people have been killed by a car because the driver, for a critical fraction of a second, was consulting a speedometer?

Authoritarianism sucks.
  14. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    09 Feb '12 05:52
    I drive carefully, yes I do. But I know friends, often younger males...
    I know of quite a few bubble-headed bimbos who drive like they got their license out of a Cracker Jack box and took five shots of tequila to celebrate...
  15. Wat?
    Moves
    10 Feb '12 11:20
    My grandmother, rest her soul, used to get in the car, pull the choke out and hang her handbag on it. 😀

She drove for 50 years, and never had an accident. She'd seen thousands, through her rear view mirror, though. 😉

-m.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree