1. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '15 08:25
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/dec/06/the-innovators-californian-scientists-bolt-threads-reinventing-the-web
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Dec '15 11:40
    I wonder how it compared to Kevlar
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Dec '15 15:33
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I wonder how it compared to Kevlar
    You notice they have carefully refrained from saying it is as strong as real spider web silk.
    My guess is it is maybe just a bit stronger than Kevlar, which would be saying something, perhaps thinner and lighter bullet proof vests and so forth.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '15 15:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You notice they have carefully refrained from saying it is as strong as real spider web silk.
    My guess is it is maybe just a bit stronger than Kevlar, which would be saying something, perhaps thinner and lighter bullet proof vests and so forth.
    The Guardian does make the claim, here it is,

The US science startup Bolt Threads can do more than a spider can – it creates and spins stronger, softer, lighter and stretchier silk from scratch
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Dec '15 23:58
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The Guardian does make the claim, here it is,

The US science startup Bolt Threads can do more than a spider can – it creates and spins stronger, softer, lighter and stretchier silk from scratch
    Sounds like a billion dollar company in the making. I wonder if they will go public? I would buy their stock.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Dec '15 01:261 edit
    Sounds like a billion dollar company in the making. I wonder if they will go public? I would buy their stock.
    Be sure to watch "The Man in the White Suit" before you plunk down your hard-earned cash. Here's part of a summary:
    Sidney Stratton, a brilliant young research chemist and former Cambridge scholarship recipient, has been dismissed from jobs at several textile mills in the north of England because of his demands for expensive facilities and his obsession with inventing an everlasting fibre. Whilst working as a labourer at the Birnley Mill, he accidentally becomes an unpaid researcher and invents an incredibly strong fibre which repels dirt and never wears out. From this fabric, a suit is made—which is brilliant white because it cannot absorb dye and slightly luminous because it includes radioactive elements.

Stratton is lauded as a genius until both management and the trade unions realise the consequence of his invention; once consumers have purchased enough cloth, demand will drop precipitously and put the textile industry out of business. The managers try to trick and bribe Stratton into signing away the rights to his invention but he refuses. Managers and workers each try to shut him away...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_White_Suit
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Dec '15 15:351 edit
    I have two MAudio BX8a monitors that have kelvlar speakers, they are awesome 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree