Spintronics that work by detecting spin via electric field rather than magnetic field

Spintronics that work by detecting spin via electric field rather than magnetic field

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h

Moves
06 Dec 20
1 edit

I believe spintronics is the future for most if not all far future micro-electronics for classical computers as spintronics promises to make classical computers not only much faster but THOUSANDS of times more energy efficient.

This is a study that explains and demonstrates how detection of the electron spins for in spintronic circuitry using electric fields rather than magnetic fields is probably the best strategy for future spintronics.
I believe this research result is a huge breakthrough and perhaps the biggest breakthrough in spintronic research yet and represents a very significant step toward realizing real-world application of spintronics.

https://phys.org/news/2020-12-electrical-filtering-key-ultra-fast-energy-efficient.html
The link says;
"Energy-efficient spintronics is dependent on both generation and detection of spin via electrical means.

In strongly spin-orbit coupled semiconductor systems, all-electrical generation of spin has already been successfully demonstrated.

However, detection of spin-to-charge conversion has always required a large range of magnetic fields, thus limiting the speed and practicality.
..."

and, for the first time, they demonstrated all-electrical spin-to-charge conversion without the need for a magnetic field.

the link also says;
"...
"We showed that non-linear spin-to-charge conversion is fully consistent with the data obtained from linear response measurements and is orders of magnitude faster," ...
Because the non-linear method does not need a magnetic field nor a long spin diffusion length, it promises new possibilities for fast detection of spin accumulation ...

Finally, the rapidness of non-linear spin-to-charge conversion can enable time-resolved read-out of spin accumulation down to 1 nanosecond resolution.
..."
So it appears they are also saying this could result in much MUCH faster computations in the resulting spintronic micro-circuits; Overall a hugely significant result indeed!