square root of 2

square root of 2

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G

santa cruz, ca.

Moves
14 May 18
1 edit

the actor Terrence Howard appeared on the TV show, The View, and claimed that he had proof (his own) that the square root of 2 was a rational number

laughable?
he was very serious

h

Moves
14 May 18
6 edits

He must be mistaken because this is the proof (by contradiction) that it is irrational;

https://www.math.utah.edu/~pa/math/q1.html

I am afraid his claims get worse!
He thinks he has a mathematical proof that 1 x 1 = 2 ! (groan)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrence_Howard
"...In 2017, Howard published his proof of his claim that "1 x 1 = 2" on his Twitter account. It was heavily criticized by his followers, due to containing multiple logical errors and faulty reasoning...." (LOL)

I am mystified how a very loud minority of laypeople have this strange illusion that they now better that the experts; usually thinking they know about maths better than the mathematicians and/or know about science than the scientists. I find them commenting all over the net on forums including sometimes this one.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 May 18

Originally posted by @lemondrop
the actor Terrence Howard appeared on the TV show, The View, and claimed that he had proof (his own) that the square root of 2 was a rational number

laughable?
he was very serious
Apparently he didn't read this Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_root_of_2

It's been calculated to one trillion decimal places with no end in sight.

To make it rational it has to be 100% accurate as the division of two numbers and have an end to the digits.

99/70 is one that varies by only one part in 10,000 and there are others closer but good luck trying to find it to be rational.

Like tilting at windshields🙂

D

Moves
14 May 18
2 edits

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
14 May 18

The post that was quoted here has been removed
You rejected authority on the basis of...
your own authority.

Brilliant!
How strong are your boot straps?
Are they able to pull you up on their own, or do they require your help in getting you up?

D

Moves
14 May 18
4 edits

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 May 18
3 edits

Originally posted by @freakykbh
your own authority.

Brilliant!
Are they able to pull you up on their own, or do they require your help in getting you up?
She is quite capable of defending herself from trolls like you. That said, she has more intelligence in her little finger than in your entire body. And will remain thus.

And she will never be a friend to me so it is not me sucking up to her, it is just a simple fact you couldn't compete with her on ANY level.

D, did you see the movie 'Gifted'?

Also a bit longer:

And "Hidden figures"

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15 May 18
1 edit

your own authority.

Brilliant!
And in case you still think you are a (QUOTE) civilization changing mind, take a peek at these female mathematicians, every one of which could best you at math or a lot of other subjects with one cerebrum tied behind their backs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_women_in_mathematics

D

Moves
15 May 18
1 edit

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
15 May 18

Originally posted by @sonhouse
She is quite capable of ...
Pretty sure her self-pride doesn't need buttressing.

h

Moves
15 May 18
5 edits

your own authority.
That isn't anything like what she said and you know it.
What the hell is wrong with you?
You insult with stupid obviously false straw man for apparently NO REASON.
Perhaps you just cannot stand anyone being smarter than you? (like most people are)
The square root of 2 is an irrational number and we have the mathematic proof of that.
If you deny this, show us your rebut...
If not, you make no point and all you have is stupid insult.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
15 May 18
1 edit

The post that was quoted here has been removed
FALSE. The troll FreakyKBH shows his abysmal comprehension of what I wrote.
...I knew of no authority claiming the square root of 2 is rational.
I could easily prove that the square root of 2 is irrational.

A generally-accepted definition for troll:
a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion, often for the troll's amusement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

The intention of my post was not to start a quarrel or even upset you, which apparently upset not only you, but the forever-pining, always-reaching, never-tasting puppy dog, sonhouse.
But your thinner-than-graphene/weaker-than-wet-paper-towels skin cannot readily face a mirror, that mirror being your own words:
I did not need to accept any argumentum ad verecundiam (argument from authority)
because I already understood enough about mathematics to know what's correct.

This quote clearly reveals your younger puffed-up self as relying on your own authority... in opposition to a reliance--- or even acceptance--- of external sources.
Somehow, seeing this snapshot--- which you yourself both took and then offered to the group as proof of your brilliance--- from the angle of another's perspective now demands your condemnation.
No one put words into your mouth: you yourself claimed your knowledge was an authority worth relying upon.
It's just silly, really, and <surprise!> guess who hates having her extreme arrogance pointed out to her, all the more when she looks so silly in the telling of the tall tale.

As for the rest of the bragging: meh.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
15 May 18

She is quite capable of defending herself from trolls like you. That said, she has more intelligence in her little finger than in your entire body. And will remain thus.

And she will never be a friend to me so it is not me sucking up to her, it is just a simple fact you couldn't compete with her on ANY level.

D, did you see the movie 'Gifted'? [yout ...[text shortened]... ger:

[youtube]aqD6wRC6llg[/youtube]

And "Hidden figures"

[youtube]XiwBpkyjrmQ[/youtube]
That said, she has more intelligence in her little finger than in your entire body.
If her little finger is intelligent in your eyes, I can only imagine what the rest of her holds for you.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
15 May 18

And in case you still think you are a (QUOTE) civilization changing mind, take a peek at these female mathematicians, every one of which could best you at math or a lot of other subjects with one cerebrum tied behind their backs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_women_in_mathematics
...every one of which could best you at math or a lot of other subjects with one cerebrum tied behind their backs...
How many cerebrums did these chicks have?
I think I got gypped: I only got the one.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15 May 18

[b]...every one of which could best you at math or a lot of other subjects with one cerebrum tied behind their backs...
How many cerebrums did these chicks have?
I think I got gypped: I only got the one.[/b]
The point is she is far more intelligent than you EVER will be. And all you can do in response is to continue trolling.