1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    17 Mar '08 12:23
    I posted this in the battery question thread but this should be seen by all. Standford researcher makes lithium ion battery that stores ten times the previous charge:
    http://www.tfot.info/news/1122/nanowire-batteries-to-hold-10-times-more-power.html
  2. Sigulda, Latvia
    Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    4048
    17 Mar '08 17:33
    Wow. These sound/read nice. I hope they start putting 'em in cellphones soon. I'm sick of my phones battery, it always charges out when I really need the phone.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    19 Mar '08 02:21
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    Wow. These sound/read nice. I hope they start putting 'em in cellphones soon. I'm sick of my phones battery, it always charges out when I really need the phone.
    Screw cell phones! I want to see them in electric cars! See what it means for the road?
  4. Sigulda, Latvia
    Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    4048
    19 Mar '08 18:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Screw cell phones! I want to see them in electric cars! See what it means for the road?
    I don't YET need them in cars, because I don't have a driver's license.

    Ok, that wasn't wise. Electrical cars are much better than fuel consuming cars. Less pollution.
  5. Joined
    16 Mar '08
    Moves
    575
    20 Mar '08 03:242 edits
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    Electrical cars are much better than fuel consuming cars. Less pollution.
    Not if you burn fossil fuels to produce the electricity used to charge your car. Unless you get it from a nuclear power plant, or some renewable source.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    20 Mar '08 07:58
    Originally posted by rookedpawn
    Not if you burn fossil fuels to produce the electricity used to charge your car. Unless you get it from a nuclear power plant, or some renewable source.
    That is the soft underbelly of electric cars for sure. The only thing that would save us from all that CO2 would be sequestering the stuff as it's produced as some scientists say. Like making limestone or something. Or by just biting the bullet and making gigawatt solar collector farms by the hundreds, a trillion dollar solution, I suspect. But it seems to me money well spent, much better than the incredibly stupid trillion bucks we already poured into that war in Iraq.
    There is one interesting developement I read about recently, one that I predicted, but had zero chance of developing myself, and that is solar cell paint. You paint this stuff right on steel or some conductor and make another connection and the whole body of the car becomes one giant solar cell. That won't give you enough to drive down the road at 70 I don't think, but it might give you enough miles to extend the energy you already pump into the system from whatever source. I doubt if you would get more than a few hundred watts but as a commuter car, parked outside in the sun, it would collect that energy all day and maybe enough charge to get home without hooking into the grid. That was what I foresaw and now it is close to reality.
Back to Top