1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 15:597 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I suggest starting here:
    https://www.gapminder.org/videos/dont-panic-the-facts-about-population/
    what I find interesting about that is that the vast bulk of the more recent increase in human population doesn't come from an increase in world birth rate, which has only gone up slightly and is leveling off, but comes from people on average living longer (at least partly because of less poverty).

Obviously, because of the fundamental biological limit to how long a human can live, at some time not very far into the future, the global population growth will dramatically slow down to an extremely slow crawl if not actually start to become slightly negative growth.

There are many things for us to worry about but at least the global human population coming to large isn't one of them.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 16:21
    Originally posted by humy
    Obviously, because of the fundamental biological limit to how long a human can live, at some time not very far into the future, the global population growth will dramatically slow down to an extremely slow crawl if not actually start to become slightly negative growth.
    I recommend watching the whole thing as well as other videos by Hans Gosling.
    You are correct. If Africa follows the trend then world population will top out at 10 - 11 billion then start to fall. I do mention that earlier in the thread. That fall will be interesting, but I don't buy the scare stories promoted by first world countries trying to get people to have more children. The claim is that there will be not enough young people paying in to pension funds to support the retired people. What they don't realise is that a falling population also means a lot of benefits too. Inheritances combine rather than divide, infrastructure can be reduced rather than increased, no need to build more housing etc etc.
    Japan has the sort of population dynamics and economy we can expect for most countries in the future. Except they may be an extreme in that they have well below replacement level birth rates.
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 17:41
    Originally posted by twhitehead...
    The other major problem with revolution is it is extremely difficult to effect major change quickly without disrupting the economy or worse (civil war) and if your desire for change is driven by economic considerations, you need to be really desperate to make things much worse before they get better.
    Oddly enough I see tiger retooling his swing.

Today I allow that despite the stupidity of human-kind, we'll be okay.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 19:37
    Originally posted by apathist
    Oddly enough I see tiger retooling his swing.

Today I allow that despite the stupidity of human-kind, we'll be okay.
    That remains to be seen. Humans will be extinct someday unless we get off this planet and have civilizations on planets around other stars, note I said planets plural.
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 02:22
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That remains to be seen. Humans will be extinct someday unless we get off this planet and have civilizations on planets around other stars, note I said planets plural.
    Stations first. Landfall, other than proof of concept, is for gathering resources.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 08:551 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Humans will most likely have evolved or gone extinct long before we get to other star systems.

In fact, a habitable space station would be a far easier option than going to another star.
  7. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 19:24
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Humans will most likely have evolved or gone extinct long before we get to other star systems....
    I have a thought about that, let me try to capture it in few words.

Instead of evolution by natural selection, we're going to evolve by intentional selection.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 19:26

Instead of evolution by natural selection, we're going to evolve by intentional selection.
    Eugenics, nice.

You intend to create the master race.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 19:48
    We will almost certainly dramatically affect our own evolution. However, to what extent it will be intentional or follow what we intend remains to be seen.
    The first step I foresee is curing genetic diseases. I believe that will be largely uncontroversial and will go ahead just as soon as the technology is available (within the next five years or so.) There are several known genetic diseases in my family and I would jump at the chance to cure them, although it may not be widespread and cheap within my lifetime.

Right now, interestingly, humans are evolving quite rapidly towards being more African and more whatever poor, uneducated people have - because those are the people having more children. In the past century the human race became significantly more asian and in the next century it becomes more african. Certainly, it seems that we will evolve slightly away from smart and entrepreneurial because those tend to be the first in any society to have less kids.
    What trends will affect our evolution in coming centuries I don't know.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 19:48
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Eugenics, nice.

You intend to create the master race.
    I am fairly sure he expressed no such intentions whatsoever. He is guessing at the future, not planning it.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 20:481 edit

Instead of evolution by natural selection, evolve by intentional selection.

Eugenics.

Or are you too stupid to understand it?
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 21:07
    Instead of evolution by natural selection, evolve by intentional selection.

Eugenics.

Or are you too stupid to understand it?
    I guess you are too stupid.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 21:40
    I guess you are too stupid.
    I guess you had a bit too much to drink over Christmas.
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 18:36
    H.saps is an invasive species. Wherever we set down roots, other species vanish.
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    28 Dec '16 11:22
    We shouldn't for example eliminate genetic disease by genetic manipulation?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree