1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 22:45
    "Stigler's law of eponymy is a process proposed by University of Chicago statistics professor Stephen Stigler in his 1980 publication "Stigler’s law of eponymy".[1] In its simplest and strongest form it says: "No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." Stigler named the sociologist Robert K. Merton as the discoverer of "Stigler's law", consciously making "Stigler's law" exemplify Stigler's law."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stigler%27s_law_of_eponymy

Nerds having fun. More frivolity at the link.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 02:39
    Originally posted by JS357
    "Stigler's law of eponymy is a process proposed by University of Chicago statistics professor Stephen Stigler in his 1980 publication "Stigler’s law of eponymy".[1] In its simplest and strongest form it says: "No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." Stigler named the sociologist Robert K. Merton as the discoverer of "Stigler's law", co ...[text shortened]... g/wiki/Stigler%27s_law_of_eponymy

Nerds having fun. More frivolity at the link.
    Maybe he will win next year's Ignoble prize!

It's funny, a few years ago I thought this Israeli scientist was well on his way to winning, for developing a featherless chicken but didn't see him in the running. He said it would make the poor thing easier to deal with in the slaughterhouse....

The poor chicken in question looked like it was suffering from PTSD, was very uncomfortable looking, downright doleful. I hope that was the only one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree