1. Joined
    05 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 13:52
    what do you guys know about the string theory? don't go on wikipedia to look it up.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 15:13
    then where should we go to look it up?

is this somekind of test? i am not allowed to cheat?
  3. Joined
    28 Jun '01
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 16:28
    Originally posted by crazyfox
    what do you guys know about the string theory? don't go on wikipedia to look it up.
    Are you stringing us along?
  4. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 16:453 edits
    Well my theory is that Vida Guerra looks a lot better with a g-string.

Edit: Don't get me wrong. She looks mighty fine as it is, but with a g-string...
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 17:06
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Well my theory is that Vida Guerra looks a lot better with a g-string.

Edit: Don't get me wrong. She looks mihty fine as it is, but with a g-string...
    A one string gal, eh. So how do you tune the G string? And, how do you play it?
  6. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 17:12
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    A one string gal, eh. So how do you tune the G string? And, how do you play it?
    If I'd get to tune that string I'd play it all night long!

Ok, I'm off now. Enough with the silly posting. 😞
  7. Joined
    05 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 17:14
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    then where should we go to look it up?

is this somekind of test? i am not allowed to cheat?
    well if you don't know what is it then go head. i didn't want people copy and pasted stuff from that site on here to make them look smart.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 20:53
    well if you don't know what is it then go head. i didn't want people copy and pasted stuff from that site on here to make them look smart.
    Enough of the silly🙂 Did you ever hear of a book called 'the trouble with Physics' by Lee Smolin? Has to do with string theory. You should read it if you haven't. A very good read.
    I think his conclusions are maybe a bit premature but read it for yourself and make up your own mind.
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 23:41
    string theory is just that, a theory. so far it cannot be proven and nothing it said can be experimented. it is just a pretty thing that mathematicians put in their equations to make them taste better
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 23:42
    then form where do you copy paste to make yourself look smart?
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 06:11
    string theory is just that, a theory. so far it cannot be proven and nothing it said can be experimented. it is just a pretty thing that mathematicians put in their equations to make them taste better
    I'm not so sure about that. It is not true that string theory cannot ever be tested. It can. When the new accellerator at CERN comes into action, then some corners of string theory will be testable.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 08:46
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I'm not so sure about that. It is not true that string theory cannot ever be tested. It can. When the new accellerator at CERN comes into action, then some corners of string theory will be testable.
    i said so far. who knows what kind of extra dimensional action we will be watching in the future
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 09:08
    i said so far. who knows what kind of extra dimensional action we will be watching in the future
    My personal view is like this:
    We have areas where quantum theory and relativity theory is not consistent with each other (*). I think, hope, or foresee, that string theory or quantum gravitation theory (according to Smolin) is going to explain these things (*).

Is the extra dimensions real? Are they truly spatial? Or are they needed just to make the equations work? (Like the imaginary constant i, despite that the world is real in mathematical sense.) And does it matter?

I have no mathematical height to grasp the mathematical background of the string theory, I have to rely on the very few string theoreticians when they say that their theory is good enough to build knledge of the universe upon.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 10:23
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    My personal view is like this:
    We have areas where quantum theory and relativity theory is not consistent with each other (*). I think, hope, or foresee, that string theory or quantum gravitation theory (according to Smolin) is going to explain these things (*).

Is the extra dimensions real? Are they truly spatial? Or are they needed just to make the ...[text shortened]... oreticians when they say that their theory is good enough to build knledge of the universe upon.
    well first they will have to choose from 10,11 and 26 dimensions.

as a pessimist i am almost sure whatever they prove at first it will be some common thing between those theories.

but i am rooting for this theory too. it is very nice.
  15. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 11:40
    A little beyond my league. Know what it is in general terms, but can't understand it to explain by myself. Maybe in a few months I come back to it 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree