1. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 13:43
    I know that the proper name is M theory but it is too complicated to really know much about it unless you have been working with it for quite a while.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 14:17
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I know that the proper name is M theory but it is too complicated to really know much about it unless you have been working with it for quite a while.
    just one of several varieties of strings

there are at least two more and scientists don't know wich one is more likely to be true.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 14:271 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    just one of several varieties of strings

there are at least two more and scientists don't know wich one is more likely to be true.
    As I understood it (from Brian Greens book), there are not only one M-theory, not even two or any finite number of M-theories, there are infinit of them.

One of them describes our universe, as the holy graal of everything. But which one is the exact one that describes our universe? That we don't know.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 14:271 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 22:58
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    As I understood it (from Brian Greens book), there are not only one M-theory, not even two or any finite number of M-theories, there are infinit of them.

One of them describes our universe, as the holy graal of everything. But which one is the exact one that describes our universe? That we don't know.
    Well not quite infinite, but I think the number 10^500 is touted about.
    Still a pretty large haystack, eh.
    BTW, did you read Smolin's Trouble with Physics?
  6. Standard membereagleeye222001
    Eye rival to Saurons
    Land of 64 Squares
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 17:471 edit
    In high school I took a Physics Topics Course and String Theory was one of the bigger topics we spent out time on.

After taking this course which involved watching a short film on string Theory featuring Brian Green and reading Brian Green's book which featured string theory I have learned that string theory is pretty complicated so unless you take VERY ADVANCED math you don't have a chance at understanding it. Oh, and the cool part is that this theory is pretty much untestable. It's pretty much all theory.

Wasn't that a great learning experience?

You learn about a theory that:

1. Only 100 people in the world understand or pretend to understand. I might be a bit generous with that estimate.
    2. untestable (Maybe in a few years we can begin to test micro-parts of it but essentially it is unttestable.)

I can't take string theory seriously. Not worth my TIME.
  7. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 18:16
    Originally posted by eagleeye222001
    In high school I took a Physics Topics Course and String Theory was one of the bigger topics we spent out time on.

After taking this course which involved watching a short film on string Theory featuring Brian Green and reading Brian Green's book which featured string theory I have learned that string theory is pretty complicated so unless you take ...[text shortened]... ssentially it is unttestable.)

yet it puts food on the table of thousands of physicists 😀

you took string theory in high school?? wow... even knowing it was only superficial...
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 10:01
    Originally posted by eagleeye222001

After taking this course which involved watching a short film on string Theory featuring Brian Green and reading Brian Green's book which featured string theory I have learned that string theory is pretty complicated so unless you take ...[text shortened]... ssentially it is unttestable.)

Possible quotes by famous people:

"I can't take relativity theory seriously. Not worth my TIME"
    Isaac Newton

"I can't take quantum theory seriously. Not worth my TIME"
    Albert Einstein

"I can't take string theory seriously. Not worth my TIME."
    eagleeye222001
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 10:39
    Possible quotes by famous people:

"I can't take relativity theory seriously. Not worth my TIME"
    Isaac Newton

"I can't take quantum theory seriously. Not worth my TIME"
    Albert Einstein

"I can't take string theory seriously. Not worth my TIME."
    eagleeye222001
    Wow! Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, and eagleeye222001 in the same league?
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 11:26
    Wow! Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, and eagleeye222001 in the same league?
    just tried to imagine what would have happened if all people would think like him.

anyway, newton and einstein did solve some theories, they were just reluctant to make the next steps. for eagleye there is only the first step he is not willing to take, maybe if string theory would be worth his precious time, he could solve it (wink wink)
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 14:21
    just tried to imagine what would have happened if all people would think like him.

anyway, newton and einstein did solve some theories, they were just reluctant to make the next steps. for eagleye there is only the first step he is not willing to take, maybe if string theory would be worth his precious time, he could solve it (wink wink)
    Admit that there are theories that ware a dead end and people can thank god they did say that. Flogiston theory, planetary atom theory, Steady State universe, cold hydrogene fusion, to take only a few theories that is dead and berried.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 14:58
    Admit that there are theories that ware a dead end and people can thank god they did say that. Flogiston theory, planetary atom theory, Steady State universe, cold hydrogene fusion, to take only a few theories that is dead and berried.
    For some reason, the US Navy has not given up on cold fusion. They are spending millions on it. I guess its a long shot but they must be thinking, 'if it pans out'.......
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 15:141 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    For some reason, the US Navy has not given up on cold fusion. They are spending millions on it. I guess its a long shot but they must be thinking, 'if it pans out'.......
    hmm, i missed that one? why cannt cold fusion happen? proven not possible or simply cannot do it now?
    EDIT dont asnwer that, if you have info, make another thread, no point doing like in the debates forum and going off topic
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 20:35
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I was referring to an experiment som 15 years ago using platinum to catalyze the fusion. One group claimed a neutron flux from the container, indicating fusion. The experiment couldn't be repeated, some result was falsified. So this claim of cold fusion was a dead end.

Some people put their reputation in hazard defending the experiment. Now no one will talk about the experiment anymore.

I didn't say cold fusion is impossible, but this experiment was.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 22:14
    I was referring to an experiment som 15 years ago using platinum to catalyze the fusion. One group claimed a neutron flux from the container, indicating fusion. The experiment couldn't be repeated, some result was falsified. So this claim of cold fusion was a dead end.

Some people put their reputation in hazard defending the experiment. Now no one will ...[text shortened]... ut the experiment anymore.

I didn't say cold fusion is impossible, but this experiment was.
    I know what you meant, and that is exactly what the US navy is pursuing. Hey, think what would change if it panned out!
    It one heck of a lot cheaper than ITER!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree