super lube, nearly as hard as diamond!

super lube, nearly as hard as diamond!

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 Nov 08

This complex alloy has about one third the friction of teflon, but is # 3 on the hardness scale after diamond and cubic boron nitride, the applications boggle the mind: permanent coatings, about 3 microns thick, for anything that rubs together, better than oil. I imagine parts like rings and cylinder walls and bearings coated with this stuff could triple engine life, coatings for drills better than diamond because diamond reacts with the steel backing, a super discovery!
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16102-material-slicker-than-teflon-discovered-by-accident.html

l
Man of Steel

rushing to and fro

Moves
22 Nov 08

Originally posted by sonhouse
This complex alloy has about one third the friction of teflon, but is # 3 on the hardness scale after diamond and cubic boron nitride, the applications boggle the mind: permanent coatings, about 3 microns thick, for anything that rubs together, better than oil. I imagine parts like rings and cylinder walls and bearings coated with this stuff could triple en ...[text shortened]... ://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16102-material-slicker-than-teflon-discovered-by-accident.html
Most importantly, when can a get an omelet pan coated with this stuff?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 Nov 08
1 edit

Originally posted by leisurelysloth
Most importantly, when can a get an omelet pan coated with this stuff?
I bet not too far off, sound like a great idea, and you could use steel spatulas instead of plastic.
This stuff would not emit vapors when heated either like teflon.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
22 Nov 08

I wonder when the first person will get this installed in his rectum.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 Nov 08

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
I wonder when the first person will get this installed in his rectum.
"Rectum. hell, Dam near killed him"

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
23 Nov 08

"Rectum. hell, Dam near killed him"
"But he made it, and it's all smooth sailing from here!"

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Nov 08

On a serious note, I suspect a development like this will not be met with enthusiasm by the auto industry, you can see something like this put in engine cylinder walls, rings, valves, bearings, etc., and I suspect the auto industry will wall off any attempt to put this stuff in their engines and drive trains. Can you imagine the reaction of, say, a GM CEO when it is shown an engine can be made that lasts 500,000 miles for sure and maybe one million miles and gets 10 percent better gas mileage to boot?
You can hear them now, Those Japs forced us to make engines last 100,000 miles, dam if I am going to make em last 5 times longer.....

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
24 Nov 08

On a serious note, I suspect a development like this will not be met with enthusiasm by the auto industry, you can see something like this put in engine cylinder walls, rings, valves, bearings, etc., and I suspect the auto industry will wall off any attempt to put this stuff in their engines and drive trains. Can you imagine the reaction of, say, a GM CEO w ...[text shortened]... ced us to make engines last 100,000 miles, dam if I am going to make em last 5 times longer.....
It's stable at high temperatures?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Nov 08

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
It's stable at high temperatures?
Yep, they didn't say exactly what temp it breaks down but they mentioned it would be good for drill bit tips because diamond reacts with the steel at high temps and this stuff does not, so that is an indication it should work in an engine. Time will tell.

STS

Moves
25 Nov 08

Sounds like it would be a great firearm application, no more gun oil, just clean it.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 Nov 08

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
Sounds like it would be a great firearm application, no more gun oil, just clean it.
The possiblities are endless for sure. You would still have to deal with gunpowder residue I would think, it wouldn't be a cure-all for guns. I imagine military weapons like your 50 cal machine guns would run a bit cooler so could fire longer due to less friction, presumably the bullets and bore would be coated with the stuff.
My main thing would be to see them in engines though.