1. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    27 Sep '15 01:52
    Don't miss this fantastic event which will be visible in most of North American and Western Europe September 27-28, depending on your time zone. For details see http://news.yahoo.com/supermoon-total-lunar-eclipse-complete-viewing-guide-skywatchers-214722214.html;_ylt=AwrC2Q51QwdWw2kAzHXQtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTByNXM5bzY5BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMzBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 18:04
    I went out at three in the morning to look at this, happily there was little cloud so it made for a good view despite the glare of street lights in London. The moon looked a dusty orangey red with a darker area towards the centre. The lunar eclipse was everything I'd expected having seen two previously.

This led me to wonder - during a super-moon it is closer than normal. This means that light refracted through the Earth's atmosphere has to be refracted more to get to the Moon so first - is that the source of the darker central region (I thought) I saw at the Moon's centre? Also, does anyone know how frequent super-moons are during solar eclipses?
  3. Standard memberMammy Blue
    Delicious Monster...
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 18:06
    Originally posted by Phranny
    Don't miss this fantastic event which will be visible in most of North American and Western Europe September 27-28, depending on your time zone. For details see http://news.yahoo.com/supermoon-total-lunar-eclipse-complete-viewing-guide-skywatchers-214722214.html;_ylt=AwrC2Q51QwdWw2kAzHXQtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTByNXM5bzY5BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMzBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--
    This morning (SAST) was fantastic, so big, and then eclipsed into red.
    Now, this evening, the moon seems bigger than last night!
    Anyone got a laser something measuring the distance between the earth and the moon?
    Is it getting closer and closer? is it going to crash into earth?
    Is this the "crash" some people has predicted? 😀
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 20:31
    Originally posted by Mammy Blue
    This morning (SAST) was fantastic, so big, and then eclipsed into red.
    Now, this evening, the moon seems bigger than last night!
    Anyone got a laser something measuring the distance between the earth and the moon?
    Is it getting closer and closer? is it going to crash into earth?
    Is this the "crash" some people has predicted? 😀
    Naturally, in my neck of the woods, the sky was totally cloud covered, not a star in sight. Zip, Nada, Zilch. Oh well, have to wait till 2033 then.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 22:07
    My grandpa said what a magnificent green moon there was.

It was only then we realized he was color blind.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree