Testing Glass for UV Absorbency

Testing Glass for UV Absorbency

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
02 Mar 11

Can anyone think of a way to test whether the glass in a new window or skylight is UV-absorbent as was specified in the contract? That is, without special chemicals or equipment and without long-term fading tests?

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
02 Mar 11

Noting your point about not wishing to utilise equipments etc, I still thought this worthy of attention..I've used something similar to the products listed within the link below whilst testing for total darkness and also varying UV levels.. for plants on a grow \ flower cycle. It's a very cheap way of verifying immediate conditions. I hope it helps or failing that perhaps just something to peruse momentarily 🙂 http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/00000118

Moves
02 Mar 11

Originally posted by RevRSleeker
Noting your point about not wishing to utilise equipments etc, I still thought this worthy of attention..I've used something similar to the products listed within the link below whilst testing for total darkness and also varying UV levels.. for plants on a grow \ flower cycle. It's a very cheap way of verifying immediate conditions. I hope it helps or fa ...[text shortened]... something to peruse momentarily 🙂 http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/00000118
Thanks, I will look at that. I am also thinking about taking photos of the transmitted light with the window "in the way" or not, but don't know if cameras pick up any UV light if it is there. Is there a modern camera geek out there?

Cape Town

Moves
02 Mar 11
1 edit

I don't know if this would work, but its worth a try:
Get hold of one of those UV lamps used by banks for testing whether money is genuine. Try shining it through the glass and compare the results with a normal sheet of glass. Place some money one the other side to see how much UV light is getting through.

K

Germany

Moves
02 Mar 11

Sit behind the window in the sun for a while. If you get a tan, the window does not absorb UV.

Note that standard glass absorbs UV, so for this to not absorb UV it would have to be something other than standard glass.

Moves
02 Mar 11

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Sit behind the window in the sun for a while. If you get a tan, the window does not absorb UV.

Note that standard glass absorbs UV, so for this to not absorb UV it would have to be something other than standard glass.
Thanks everyone. I will look into the beads.

You can buy glass that absorbs more UV than standard window glass. We have it on a couple of paintings. Typically it has a slight green color.