1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 23:54
    Originally posted by humy

EMP shielding was tried in a specially built aircraft flown a few hundred miles from an actual H bomb test.

no point in shielding against the powerful pulses from H-bombs -only natural sources. If the H-bombs started falling, we would be all screwed anyway so what would be the point?

Do you see the lack of EMP shielding against th ...[text shortened]... cuitry are not current-based. Not sure but I think they might not even need any EMP shielding!
    Not to keep beating a dead horse but:

why cannot EMP shielding be designed without cracks? I believe you wrote,

If there are no cracks, how do you suppose you would get inside? You can certainly make a skin shaped like an egg with no cracks and it would float real nice but how do you get inside?
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    08 Oct '12 08:347 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Not to keep beating a dead horse but:

why cannot EMP shielding be designed without cracks? I believe you wrote,

If there are no cracks, how do you suppose you would get inside? You can certainly make a skin shaped like an egg with no cracks and it would float real nice but how do you get inside?
    Why would you need to “get inside” the AI brain electrically in a way that would allow EMP to get through?
    For starters, the batteries and the power cables for the AI can, if absolutely necessary, be enclosed within the same EMP shield that encloses the AI brain although I am not sure if that would really be necessary -there are perfectly adequate alternative ways of blocking the electrical interference that may travel down the power cables. So, if really necessary, no need for power cables or wires going through the shield.

Have you looked at a microwave oven door? It allows light through so that you can see inside but blocks both microwaves and radio waves and therefore blocks EMP .
    So the EMP shield for the AI brain can be very easily be made to allow light signals to go through it both ways to allow the option of the AI to interact with the external world optically if absolutely necessary and do so without allowing EMP to leak in.

The holes in the metal grid on a microwave oven door could be seen to be like “cracks” in the shield and yet they do not allow leakage of the relevant radiation. The same kind of holes can be put in any EMP shield without compromising its EMP blocking power -and usually are! Most perfectly effective EMP shield are designed with at least one hole and without allowing EMP to leak in far enough inside to effect the enclosed components.
  3. Wat?
    Moves
    08 Oct '12 13:08
    And what happens to the drunkard who gets into his AI car, and it crashes? πŸ˜›

AI could become an excuse for not being in control of the vehicle, could it not?

-m.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    08 Oct '12 20:332 edits
    Originally posted by mikelom
    And what happens to the drunkard who gets into his AI car, and it crashes? πŸ˜›

AI could become an excuse for not being in control of the vehicle, could it not?

-m.

Isn't that a bit like saying that seat belts could be used as an 'excuse' for not flying through the windscreen?
    Surely is would not be an “excuse” to “ not being in control of the vehicle” but rather be “the whole point”!?
    Isn't the whole point of having an AI to drive the vehicle to make sure the human is not in control of the vehicle to stop him causing accidents?
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    09 Oct '12 07:10
    Of course driverless cars have onboard technology documenting the whole process - it should become easier rather than harder to convict a drunk driver who's interfered with the automatic procedure.
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    09 Oct '12 07:522 edits
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Of course driverless cars have onboard technology documenting the whole process - it should become easier rather than harder to convict a drunk driver who's interfered with the automatic procedure.
    I would think that the AI driven cars of the future would be designed so that it is impossible for anyone to interfere with the automatic procedure of the car unless the car designers are idiots!

But it would still be good for all such driverless cars to have a black box flight recorder ( or some equivalent ) just in case something does go horribly wrong.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 16:04
    Originally posted by humy
    Why would you need to “get inside” the AI brain electrically in a way that would allow EMP to get through?
    For starters, the batteries and the power cables for the AI can, if absolutely necessary, be enclosed within the same EMP shield that encloses the AI brain although I am not sure if that would really be necessary -there are perfectly adequate alter ...[text shortened]... ne hole and without allowing EMP to leak in far enough inside to effect the enclosed components.
    You underestimate the power of EMP to penetrate weak defenses like microwave doors. Those techniques reduce the level leaving the door for sure but they are still there and can be measured, of course in a microwave oven, the level of energy is more like microwatt or milliwatt levels outside the box but it is not perfect.

The US air force built a skin within a skin in an attempt to shield sensitive electronics from EMP but the stuff got through in a simulated A bomb attack. Maybe Graphene would do the trick but that's a few decades off for large scale stuff for sure.
  8. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 16:35
    I think all cars should have 6-speed manual transmissions. It would drastically reduce texting and other forms of distracted driving, and force all the morons who don't know how to walk and chew gum at the same time off the roads.
  9. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 16:38
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You underestimate the power of EMP to penetrate weak defenses like microwave doors. Those techniques reduce the level leaving the door for sure but they are still there and can be measured, of course in a microwave oven, the level of energy is more like microwatt or milliwatt levels outside the box but it is not perfect.

The US air force built a skin wit ...[text shortened]... Maybe Graphene would do the trick but that's a few decades off for large scale stuff for sure.
    How do you sleep at night, worrying about all the things you worry about?
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 20:40
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    How do you sleep at night, worrying about all the things you worry about?
    Not bothering me at all, just playing devil's advocate..
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Oct '12 20:40
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    I think all cars should have 6-speed manual transmissions. It would drastically reduce texting and other forms of distracted driving, and force all the morons who don't know how to walk and chew gum at the same time off the roads.
    And into the treesπŸ™‚

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree