1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Jul '23 08:171 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @divegeester
    Of course there is no 'dark side' of the moon but because it is tidally locked to Earth, the backside gets slightly less energy in total since Earth does emit some energy which will reach the moon, a small part of it of course.
    You said in your previous post that the back side of the moon is “in total darkness and no direct light from the sun”, this is completely incorrect.

Furthermore it is actually the nearside of the moon which gets “slight less” exposure to the sun, not the far side. This is basic earth/moon rotational geometry sonshouse. When the near side of the moon is facing the sun it will at times be fully or partially eclipsed by the earth. This never happens to the fair side.

Either way, neither option supports your earlier assertion.

Stop doubling down chap.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Jul '23 10:01
    @sonhouse said
    @divegeester
    Of course there is no 'dark side' of the moon but because it is tidally locked to Earth, the backside gets slightly less energy in total since Earth does emit some energy which will reach the moon, a small part of it of course.
    Look at Suzianne's post, nice piece about that subject.
    why would folks double thumb her down? It's just an article and may even be wrong so why the TD?
    Because it disagrees with certain people's pet theories.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Jul '23 10:04
    @sonhouse said
    @divegeester
    Because Earth emits heat as well as the sun so that increases slightly the heat on the nearside but the backside has total darkness and direct light from the sun but that is slightly less heat than the combined heat from Earth and sun hitting Luna.
    Not much heat for sure but it is a tiny bit more.
    This is the post that the paper I linked agreed with. That was why I posted the link.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '23 13:44
    @suzianne said
    This is the post that the paper I linked agreed with. That was why I posted the link.
    If your link asserts, as sonhouse did, that the far side of the moon is in total darkness, then it too is totally incorrect.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Jul '23 07:16
    @divegeester said
    If your link asserts, as sonhouse did, that the far side of the moon is in total darkness, then it too is totally incorrect.
    He meant dark from earthshine. Obviously.

I really tire of you throwing out everything people say and focusing on one thing misspoke.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Jul '23 17:21
    @suzianne said
    He may have meant that, but it's not as obvious as you gaslight it is. Clearly, none of you have ever listened to a Pink Floyd album, or you'd have known how many people make that mistake.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '23 09:301 edit
    @suzianne said
    That is not what he said at all, so no, it’s not obvious.

Clearly Sonhouse is mistaken when he asserts that “the back side of the moon is in total darkness”, it isn’t. Much of the time it is full sun, most of the rest of the time it’s in partial sun. Occasionally, for a day or so, during a full moon on earth, the back side of the moon will be in total darkness.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '23 09:30
    @suzianne said

I really tire of you throwing out everything people say and focusing on one thing misspoke.
    I couldn’t care less what you tire of.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Jul '23 10:44
    @shallow-blue said
    He may have meant that, but it's not as obvious as you gaslight it is. Clearly, none of you have ever listened to a Pink Floyd album, or you'd have known how many people make that mistake.
    NObody makes that mistake.

People aren't as stupid as you'd like to believe.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Jul '23 10:45
    @divegeester said
    I couldn’t care less what you tire of.
    Sure you could.

You'd stop chasing my skirt if you couldn't.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Jul '23 10:48
    @divegeester said
    That is not what he said at all, so no, it’s not obvious.

Clearly Sonhouse is mistaken when he asserts that “the back side of the moon is in total darkness”, it isn’t. Much of the time it is full sun, most of the rest of the time it’s in partial sun. Occasionally, for a day or so, during a full moon on earth, the back side of the moon will be in total darkness.
    You're singing to the choir.

He knows that too.

I have no idea why you (and others like SB) love to paint people as know-nothings. If I had to guess, it's because you're both insecure of your own intelligence.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '23 12:23
    @suzianne said

I have no idea why you (and others like SB) love to paint people as know-nothings.
    I’m replying to sonshouse incorrect assertion.

It’s and yourself and he who are painting yourselves as “know nothings”
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '23 12:23
    @suzianne said
    You're singing to the choir.
    Based on what sonshouse and yourself wrote, apparently not.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '23 12:24
    @suzianne said

You'd stop chasing my skirt if you couldn't.
    “Chasing your skirt”

What do you mean by that?
  15. Standard memberKilroy70
    within reason
    Moves
    30 Jul '23 03:33
    skirt chaser

noun. slang. a person who habitually tries to seduce women. Collins English Dictionary.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree