1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 13:38
    In search of the Higgs boson:
    http://www.economist.com/daily/news/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10903480&fsrc=nwl

Of any interest to RHP heads?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 14:13
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage

The Higg's particle has nothing to do with religion.

The Higg's particle is responsible to the mass property of all matter. If this particle is found it will be a new Nobel prize coming. The confirmed existence will be a plus for the string theory.

Don't believe everything journalists write. They usually don't understand very much in areas that is not their own.
  3. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 16:37

It won't be found. And if it is I'll give up on physics.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 17:231 edit
    It would help if people actually read the article. It has nothing to do with the Higgs Boson/God particle.

The article itself is very interesting, as usual with the Economist (even though I do not share many of its ideological views).
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 18:22
    Originally posted by Palynka
    It would help if people actually read the article. It has nothing to do with the Higgs Boson/God particle.

The article itself is very interesting, as usual with the Economist (even though I do not share many of its ideological views).
    It would help if someone gives a summary so you don't have to read the whole article.

Even Bosse de Nage thought it was about the Higg's as he referred to the article by "In search of the Higgs boson".
  6. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 18:405 edits
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    It would help if someone gives a summary so you don't have to read the whole article.

Even Bosse de Nage thought it was about the Higg's as he referred to the article by "In search of the Higgs boson".
    The article deals with the biological and psychological foundations
    of our need for spiritual identity.

It goes on to show how altruistic behaviours are affected by belief
    systems and how the benefits of common belief systems underpin
    our need to have a social context for sexual selection and beneficial
    behaviour.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 18:531 edit
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    The article deals with the biological and psychological foundations
    of our need for spiritual identity.

It goes on to show how altruistic behaviours are affected by belief
    systems and how the benefits of common belief systems underpin
    our need to have a social context for sexual selection and survival.

It does so in the context of the question 'do we really want to disolve
    religion'?
    What spiritual identity? Such was thought in the dark ages by the priests. Now spiritual identity is thought of being religous in its kind.

And 'do we really want to disolve religion'? Does anyone really want to discuss religion here in the Science Forum?

I say that a discussion about the Higg's particle is very much more science.
  8. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 18:57
    What spiritual identity? Such was thought in the dark ages by the priests. Now spiritual identity is thought of being religous in its kind.

And 'do we really want to disolve religion'? Does anyone really want to discuss religion here in the Science Forum?

Can you tell me then where your real thirst for truth lies?
  9. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 19:051 edit
    Like it or not religion is a real scientific phenomenon. As real as
    the need for science in that it has been fundamental to the operation
    of our society.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 19:33

Yes. Religion is a real social phenomenon, therefore it is of interest to social scientists. There's more to science than physics.
  11. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 20:171 edit
    I also think it's important for science to have a way of describing
    it's own shortfallings in terms of explaining the unknown.
    It makes sense that the language we choose for this discussion
    is rooted in an understanding of our own physiological and
    psychological growth and adaptations.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 21:30

This thread starts with the Higg's particle, and from there goes of topic with a discussion about religion.

If this thread is about religion, then it is totally uninterested by me. So I fold and quit this thread.

What I'm really afraid of is that this whole Forum, that should be about Science, is more and more about religion. Why do we have a Spriritual Forum at all, when Spiritual matters are discussed in the Science Forum. Is the Science Forum hijacked by religious people?

So, anyone really interested about the Higg's particle...? More than Bosse de Nage...?
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 21:37

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 21:47
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    "Are you stupid or just unable to read?" Is this a personal attack to me or is it a personal attack to Bosse de Nage, the one who started the thread with a reference to the Higg's particle?

Please, avoid personal attacks from this thread, and this Forum altogether...
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 21:55
    "Are you stupid or just unable to read?" Is this a personal attack to me or is it a personal attack to Bosse de Nage, the one who started the thread with a reference to the Higg's particle?

Please, avoid personal attacks from this thread, and this Forum altogether...
    I addressed the question to you.

Your silly act as "Defender of the Science Forum" is obviously getting to your head. This thread belongs here, the link belongs here and the posts that followed belonged here. Now stop spamming the thread with your smugness.

Especially when you don't even bother to see what the link is about.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree