1. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    11 Jun '10 00:24
    I'm a genius.

    We should combine Zeppelin technology with helicopter technology. It would be awesome.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    11 Jun '10 00:50
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I'm a genius.

    We should combine Zeppelin technology with helicopter technology. It would be awesome.
    So is it a Zeppelinopter or a helizeppelin? Maybe helizep for short?
  3. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    11 Jun '10 03:37
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So is it a Zeppelinopter or a helizeppelin? Maybe helizep for short?
    Heliocopter from helium and helicopter.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    11 Jun '10 04:46
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I'm a genius.

    We should combine Zeppelin technology with helicopter technology. It would be awesome.
    They tried that once. It failed.

    You are not the first one with that idea. It's not you who are a genous.

    Actually. 'Zeppelines' are very capabale to carry heavy loads where no other can.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    11 Jun '10 21:14
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    They tried that once. It failed.

    You are not the first one with that idea. It's not you who are a genous.

    Actually. 'Zeppelines' are very capabale to carry heavy loads where no other can.
    Just don't use hydrogen as the lifting gas....
  6. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    11 Jun '10 22:13
    What is the name of the real heliocopter? Zeppelins don't count.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    invigorated
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    12 Jun '10 00:15
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What is the name of the real heliocopter? Zeppelins don't count.
    helicopter
  8. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    12 Jun '10 03:41
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    helicopter
    There's no helium to help a helicopter float numbnuts.
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    Joined
    09 Apr '10
    Moves
    14251
    12 Jun '10 14:16
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What is the name of the real heliocopter? Zeppelins don't count.
    I seem to recall it was something like blimp-copter at least at the proposal stage.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    12 Jun '10 15:49
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    I seem to recall it was something like blimp-copter at least at the proposal stage.
    blimptopter?
  11. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    12 Jun '10 19:05
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    I seem to recall it was something like blimp-copter at least at the proposal stage.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyHook_JHL-40
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    12 Jun '10 21:08
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyHook_JHL-40
    The other two machines listed at the bottom didn't do so well, one killed the pilot, the other went belly up for lack of funding. We will see if this new one gets off the ground. It does lift 4 times the weight of a Sikorsky sky crane, so we will see, eh.
  13. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    13 Jun '10 20:28
    The biggest danger to LTA aircraft like blimps and zepps I think is wind (assuming they're smart enough to use He and not H2). I wonder if the rotors are strong enough to carry the ship itself if it has to jettison He because of storm conditions?
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    13 Jun '10 23:12
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The biggest danger to LTA aircraft like blimps and zepps I think is wind (assuming they're smart enough to use He and not H2). I wonder if the rotors are strong enough to carry the ship itself if it has to jettison He because of storm conditions?
    I thought one of the ideas was the rotors meant you don't have to download your helium, where the helium has only enough lifting power to hold the ship up and the real
    lifting power is in the engines and rotors. The rotors are what enables it to buck winds.
  15. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    13 Jun '10 23:211 edit
    You're right of course. My point was this:

    All the cool LTA ships post Hindenberg e.g. USS Akron were destroyed in windy conditions I believe. If one of these gets caught without a load in stormy conditions, can it jettison the He and fly back to base on the rotors alone?

    How much does it weigh unloaded?
Back to Top