1. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    28 Dec '13 08:06
    Guys, a long time ago a group of people from these necks of the woods decided that it would be a fun thing to do if we were to form a group blog and talk about quantum mechanics.

An excellent idea I know, but form some reason (lazyness on my part) the project died not long after taking form. Fed up with this and seeing that people still talk a lot about QM on this site I decided to bring back this blog from its long slumber and give people what they want.

I don't know if the original group of people are still around but I'd like to get them on board again and I'm also taking three more people as contributors.

So if you want to get acquainted with one of the most marvelous adventures of the human spirit just watch this space: http://thequantumgang.wordpress.com/about/
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    28 Dec '13 17:24
    I will check into that site from time to time to see what y'all are doing.

You might be interested in downloading a PDF on the laws of physics, which can be found by doing a Net search for:

Victor Stenger laws physics 2007 pdf
  3. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    28 Dec '13 17:38
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    I will check into that site from time to time to see what y'all are doing.

You might be interested in downloading a PDF on the laws of physics, which can be found by doing a Net search for:

[b]Victor Stenger laws physics 2007 pdf
    [/b]
    Great handle that you have there!

Check it out and comment too.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    28 Dec '13 19:34
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Great handle that you have there!
    The real Paul Dirac was one of the greats, from my perspective as an interested layman.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Dec '13 19:381 edit
    I'm still around, so I guess I'll try it again. I believe I still have the book. It will be a completely academic pursuit for me ( I don't expect to apply it in my profession at the wire mill ), but I'll give it a try.

Edit: Actually I'm afraid I misplaced the pdf. Can you supply with with the link?
  6. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    28 Dec '13 20:17
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    I'm still around, so I guess I'll try it again. I believe I still have the book. It will be a completely academic pursuit for me ( I don't expect to apply it in my profession at the wire mill ), but I'll give it a try.

Edit: Actually I'm afraid I misplaced the pdf. Can you supply with with the link?
    Nice to see that you're still available to be on board. I've sent you a PM
  7. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    19 Jan '14 21:471 edit
    Ok people, after some computer problems a new post is published. We still haven't made it to quantum mechanics proper but I really want to be sure that people understand basic physics and basic math before we move into some heavy physics: http://thequantumgang.wordpress.com/2014/01/19/matrices-scalars-vectors-and-vector-calculus-3/

Edit: don't forget that I'm taking three new members so that I don't end speaking to myself on that blog

Please comment and make a lot of questions
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 07:25
    I'll see if I can follow along too. I've always been interested in quantum mechanics and have been watching some university courses on the subject on youtube.
  9. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 12:20
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I'll see if I can follow along too. I've always been interested in quantum mechanics and have been watching some university courses on the subject on youtube.
    Do try to follow along and comment a lot on the blog. It'll help me clarify points that I might think that are clear but other might not feel the same way.

As a matter a fact, don't you want to join the blog as a team member?
  10. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 12:40
    A few more posts (and comments too!) in http://thequantumgang.wordpress.com/.

After Newtonian Mechanics 06 we'll finally enter the study of proper quantum mechanics via Griffiths book.

Still looking for three more members so if you feel that you might fit what we got going on just let me know.
  11. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    02 Mar '14 14:40
    Ok people this is the last time I'm bumping this thread. As you can see The Quantum Gang has a new home:

http://physicsfromthebottomup.blogspot.com/

and you should update your favourites and rss feeds in order to continue to follow it.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Mar '14 17:06
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Ok people this is the last time I'm bumping this thread. As you can see The Quantum Gang has a new home:

http://physicsfromthebottomup.blogspot.com/

and you should update your favourites and rss feeds in order to continue to follow it.
    I have not followed along so far, despite intending to, partly because I found the previous site difficult to navigate - and mostly because it seemed like too much hard work to go through and really understand the math. But I will try and make an effort again.
    However, what is badly needed is a clear table of contents showing where to start and what order to go through them in.
  13. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    02 Mar '14 23:37
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I have not followed along so far, despite intending to, partly because I found the previous site difficult to navigate - and mostly because it seemed like too much hard work to go through and really understand the math. But I will try and make an effort again.
    However, what is badly needed is a clear table of contents showing where to start and what order to go through them in.
    Even though you're totally right in your comments let me just make a few comments.

The first comment I shall make is that if you read the blog posts in chronological order you'll know where to start and in what order you should go through the posts.

In the old blog (wordpress.com) I've partially solved that issue by using numbered categories to identify the order one should go through the "syllabus".

After moving to blogger.com I found out that blogger doesn't support categories but only labels (incidentally this was one of the reasons that delayed my move to blogger) which aren't all that suitable for the purpose of helping readers move around the blog.

But I hear you and because of your comment the page http://physicsfromthebottomup.blogspot.com/p/the-quantum-gang.html will feature a list of links relevant to the Quantum Gang effort so that people know how to get around the blog.

Also, I'm googling to see if anyone has already done a javascript that allows one to post a dependent list of labels so that I can emulate the categories feature of wordpress.com

If you have more comments of that kind just let me know about them because they'll help me make a better blog.
  14. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    07 Mar '14 11:47
    Ok people this is really my last comment on this thread:

1- I'm back to using the old platform (after some negative feedback) so re-update your links to http://thequantumgang.wordpress.com/ (sorry for the bother)
    2- if you're interested in other areas of Physics and Math also follow: http://climbingthemountain.wordpress.com/

Other than that if you want to join the Quantum Gang we're still accepting three people.

Toodles!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree