1. Joined
    26 Nov '07
    Moves
    27 Aug '08 19:36
    I know that in mathematics, Group Theory is the formal study of symmetry. However, having done quite a lot of group theory I am left with this question:

How?

I understand that the dihedral groups, and subgroups thereof, represent symmetries wonderfully. But, for instance, what would be represented by the Symmetric groups? would it be some n-dimensional object (where the symmetric group is S_n)?
  2. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 02:211 edit
    Originally posted by Swlabr
    ... would it be some n-dimensional object (where the symmetric group is S_n)?
    You might have some grasp of group theory ... but your simple arithmetic has slipped just a little:

S3 is like a 2d triangle,
    and
    S4 is like a 3d cube.
  3. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 04:48
    You could be meaning: Sn is symmetric in the same way as a regular (n-1) simplex.
  4. Joined
    26 Nov '07
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 13:39
    Originally posted by flexmore
    You might have some grasp of group theory ... but your simple arithmetic has slipped just a little:

and
    S4 is like a 3d cube.
    Numbers: a mathematicians greatest weakness.
  5. Joined
    26 Nov '07
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 13:44
    Originally posted by flexmore

and
    S4 is like a 3d cube.
    Yes-that makes sense. Thanks for that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree