1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    21 Oct '16 10:53
    http://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-what-scientists-think-the-world-will-be-like-in-2045

    Some startling stuff here. I may even see it, I will only be 104🙂
  2. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    24 Oct '16 16:05
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Some startling stuff here.
    Like what? I didn't see anything surprising in any way. Did I miss something?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    24 Oct '16 16:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Like what? I didn't see anything surprising in any way. Did I miss something?
    Thought control for one. Sure we have something like that now but I think what they were implying was control from a distance, that is to say there would be no hat with a hundred electrodes poking into your skin for brain wave monitoring.

    I built a brain wave monitor that let you hear the alpha, beta and gamma waves of the brain by frequency modulating an amplified brain electrode made of silver, three of them and the signal was surprisingly high, like millivolt level measured on the skin.

    If they amplified that effect say 60 to 90 db they should be able to read those signals from say a meter away, like some kind of sensor in the roof of your car above the drivers seat sensing what you want the car to do. That is just my supposition but it could be something like that.

    I don't think anyone would want to wear an electrode hat to do that stuff even if the signals were routed out with bluetooth or some such so there were no cables connecting you to the sensors.
  4. Standard memberSoothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    Planet Rain
    Joined
    04 Mar '04
    Moves
    2441
    24 Oct '16 19:39
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Thought control for one. Sure we have something like that now but I think what they were implying was control from a distance, that is to say there would be no hat with a hundred electrodes poking into your skin for brain wave monitoring.

    I built a brain wave monitor that let you hear the alpha, beta and gamma waves of the brain by frequency modulating ...[text shortened]... re routed out with bluetooth or some such so there were no cables connecting you to the sensors.
    And what exactly does monitoring the alpha, beta, and gamma waves of a human brain tell you what it is thinking? Anyway society is already replete with thought control mechanisms of every imaginable kind, from Sunday schools to Madison Avenue.
  5. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    24 Oct '16 20:01
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Thought control for one. Sure we have something like that now but I think what they were implying was control from a distance, that is to say there would be no hat with a hundred electrodes poking into your skin for brain wave monitoring.
    All it requires is a few sensors on your head. I am pretty sure they are required though. Of course they could be implanted low power devices, or built into a very lightweight headset. Computing power is getting smaller and lower power consuming with time.

    If they amplified that effect say 60 to 90 db they should be able to read those signals from say a meter away, like some kind of sensor in the roof of your car above the drivers seat sensing what you want the car to do. That is just my supposition but it could be something like that.
    I doubt it. I doubt they even thought it through beyond the simple fact that thoughts can be read.

    I don't think anyone would want to wear an electrode hat to do that stuff even if the signals were routed out with bluetooth or some such so there were no cables connecting you to the sensors.
    I am sure small electrodes stuck to the skin or under the skin will do. It can then connect wireless to your phone.
    People quite happily wear a smart watch if it says 'Apple' on it. They do the same with a hat too.
  6. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    24 Oct '16 20:031 edit
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    And what exactly does monitoring the alpha, beta, and gamma waves of a human brain tell you what it is thinking?
    It is possible to read thoughts with a headset with enough sensors and good software. My concern is that the benefits simply aren't that great.

    Anyway society is already replete with thought control mechanisms of every imaginable kind, from Sunday schools to Madison Avenue.
    I think you are confusing thought control with controlled by thought. (intentionally perhaps, but I thought I should mention it).
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    25 Oct '16 16:43
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    And what exactly does monitoring the alpha, beta, and gamma waves of a human brain tell you what it is thinking? Anyway society is already replete with thought control mechanisms of every imaginable kind, from Sunday schools to Madison Avenue.
    The device I built was far from reading thoughts. It only showed the relative power of each band of frequencies given off by the brain, well three of them anyway. The exercise was to increase 'alpha' wave which indicated relaxed but active mind, good for creativity.
  8. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    25 Oct '16 18:26
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The device I built was far from reading thoughts. It only showed the relative power of each band of frequencies given off by the brain, well three of them anyway. The exercise was to increase 'alpha' wave which indicated relaxed but active mind, good for creativity.
    I have seen such a device at a science centre. Nevertheless actual thought reading is possible.
    Here is an example with electrodes in the brain:
    http://www.livescience.com/53535-computer-reads-thoughts-instantaneously.html

    But there are also non-invasive commercial products:
    https://www.emotiv.com/

    See it in action here:
    YouTube

    And that was two years ago!
  9. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    26 Oct '16 02:06
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-what-scientists-think-the-world-will-be-like-in-2045

    Some startling stuff here. I may even see it, I will only be 104🙂
    As usual, you're an idiot.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    28 Oct '16 10:42
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    As usual, you're an idiot.
    Also you. Here is a link to an article for a second circumnavigation of Antarctica by a Russian icebreaker, a 3 month journey. So much for your flat Earth.

    http://theconversation.com/why-im-spending-three-months-sailing-right-around-antarctica-for-science-67782
Back to Top