1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    06 Sep '13 16:33
    http://phys.org/news/2013-09-theoretical-device-spintronics-closer-reality.html

I guess this could lead to the ultimate spintronics BUT only if room temperature superconductivity is ever realized.

just one thing puzzles me about this piece: it calls the cooper pairs that have their two electrons spinning in opposite ways to each other “spin-singlet Cooper pairs” and it calls the cooper pairs that have their two electrons spinning in opposite ways to each other “spin-triplet Cooper pairs” but what are they referring to by the words singlet and triplet here in this context? -I mean, single and triple what exactly? -because I don't see any “triple” anything in the diagram for “spin-singlet Cooper pairs”!
  2. Germany
    Moves
    06 Sep '13 16:40
    Singlet and triplet refer to specific quantum-mechanical configurations of the wavefunction. I'm sure you can find some more about it through googling/wikipedia, I don't really know a way of explaining it that is suitable to the layman.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Sep '13 18:54
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Singlet and triplet refer to specific quantum-mechanical configurations of the wavefunction. I'm sure you can find some more about it through googling/wikipedia, I don't really know a way of explaining it that is suitable to the layman.
    Whadda mean layman? You think he is a male hooker?🙂
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    08 Sep '13 08:235 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    After much searching, the best I could find was:
    http://guava.physics.uiuc.edu/~nigel/courses/569/Essays_2004/files/chung.pdf
    This might as well be written in Chinese from my perspective!
    Couldn't find a more of a laypersons explanation. I give up; I think I just stick to accepting that that the reason one is called "singlet" and the other "triplet" is just "something to do with the wave function" but don't know what exactly and leave it at that.

I also found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconventional_superconductor
    “The first unconventional triplet superconductor, organic material (TMTSF)2PF6, “

Anyone:
    Does the "triple" in the term "triplet superconductor" in the above mean that this is referring to a superconductor that conducts electricity with only spin-triplet cooper pairs rather than spin-singlet cooper pairs?

If so, what is the highest known temperature (in kelvin ) a triplet superconductor has been demonstrated to operate at?
    ( I tried searching for this but got nowhere )

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree