Time before the Big Bang?: evidence.

Time before the Big Bang?: evidence.

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
17 Aug 18

https://www.sciencealert.com/penrose-b-mode-hawking-points-sign-previous-universe-in-conformal-cyclic-cosmology

F

Moves
19 Aug 18

Originally posted by @sonhouse
https://www.sciencealert.com/penrose-b-mode-hawking-points-sign-previous-universe-in-conformal-cyclic-cosmology
Nah, as the headline says: "These Swirls of Light Could Be Signs of a Previous Universe Existing Before Ours".
If I interpret "could be" correctly when a journalist writes it, it says "well, perhaps not, but it attracts a lot of readers anyway".

The perturbations and vortexes in the matter at the time when universe gets transparent at about 377,000 years after Big Bang (according to wikipedia) some of the photons are polarized, that's all. Why? Good question. But this doesn't give any information about the 'time before the Big Bang'. Couldn't give.

Interesting headline? Eye catching headline? Yes, but not more than that.

In my humble opinion:
No information could pass through the 'near singularity' of the universe at the time t=0. There simply isn't anything to observe that brings information from a PreBangian universe.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
20 Aug 18

Originally posted by @fabianfnas
Nah, as the headline says: "These Swirls of Light Could Be Signs of a Previous Universe Existing Before Ours".
If I interpret "could be" correctly when a journalist writes it, it says "well, perhaps not, but it attracts a lot of readers anyway".

The perturbations and vortexes in the matter at the time when universe gets transparent at about 377,000 y ...[text shortened]... t=0. There simply isn't anything to observe that brings information from a PreBangian universe.
Of course ATT it is speculation but there is another line of evidence also, circular patterns in the CMR:

ttps://www.technologyreview.com/s/421999/astronomers-find-first-evidence-of-other-universes/

This is from 2010.

F

Moves
20 Aug 18

Of course ATT it is speculation but there is another line of evidence also, circular patterns in the CMR:

ttps://www.technologyreview.com/s/421999/astronomers-find-first-evidence-of-other-universes/

This is from 2010.
Yes, I know that, but there they claim has a totally different explanation: Collision of another parallel universe. Highly speculative hypothesis. Not particularly trustworthy.

When journalists want to get attention, these are examples of headlines they like to use.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
20 Aug 18

Yes, I know that, but there they claim has a totally different explanation: Collision of another parallel universe. Highly speculative hypothesis. Not particularly trustworthy.

When journalists want to get attention, these are examples of headlines they like to use.
Wouldn't it be world shaking news if true though! Great Sci Fi plot don't you think?

F

Moves
21 Aug 18

Wouldn't it be world shaking news if true though! Great Sci Fi plot don't you think?
Yes, of course! I agree! As a SF-writer you can imagine whatever cool things you like, like sub-space traveling, extra-terrestrial visitors, galactic councils, parallel universes, alternative realities, time travels and much more. Only your imagination is the limit.

But in real life, we can speculate, hypothesize, and making elaborate guesswork. And this is cool too, but only the Universe itself only can give us hints about how it actually is. There is no Rosetta Stone that can interpret the real thing for us.

There are no hints about a pre-bangian universe, nor parallel universes. Journalists can use words like might and could, but the thing is, they just to have readers.

But we can stretch the limits:
The theory says that we cannot go faster than light, right? Wrong! The theory says only about the speed of light in vacuum that is a forbidden speed for us mass people. But if you put in v=2*c in the equation, nothing says prohibits it. Well, you get an imaginary component in your mass, but that’s all. You can even move to the edge of the universe and back in a blink of your eye, time dilation set aside.
And there are more ways to move to a target faster than a photon does, that involves stretching and shrinking of the space itself.
Future technologies? Perhaps, unless we kill ourselves as a specie first.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
21 Aug 18

Yes, of course! I agree! As a SF-writer you can imagine whatever cool things you like, like sub-space traveling, extra-terrestrial visitors, galactic councils, parallel universes, alternative realities, time travels and much more. Only your imagination is the limit.

But in real life, we can speculate, hypothesize, and making elaborate guesswork. And t ...[text shortened]... of the space itself.
Future technologies? Perhaps, unless we kill ourselves as a specie first.
All of this may come true but the better our telescopes of all types get, the more we will learn about the existing universe. The two lines I mentioned can be considered to be evidence of past universes but in order for that hypothesis to be confirmed needs more and more detailed evidence which for the present time is just supposition. That does not mean it will forever remain supposition. News at 11๐Ÿ™‚

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Aug 18

All of this may come true but the better our telescopes of all types get, the more we will learn about the existing universe. The two lines I mentioned can be considered to be evidence of past universes but in order for that hypothesis to be confirmed needs more and more detailed evidence which for the present time is just supposition. That does not mean it will forever remain supposition. News at 11๐Ÿ™‚
Here is news at 11:

https://dailygalaxy.com/2018/08/is-a-phantom-universe-hidden-in-the-cosmic-microwave-background/

F

Moves
27 Aug 18

Here is news at 11:

https://dailygalaxy.com/2018/08/is-a-phantom-universe-hidden-in-the-cosmic-microwave-background/
You should always be suspicious when the headline us formulated as a question, you know.

"New facts! Is Sonhouse the new world champion in chess?"
"Rumor says: Is Sonhouse the new candidate for Nobel Price in cosmology?"
"Is tomorrow the last day of the old age? What will the new age bring us?"

Doesn't say much, does it?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Aug 18

You should always be suspicious when the headline us formulated as a question, you know.

"New facts! Is Sonhouse the new world champion in chess?"
"Rumor says: Is Sonhouse the new candidate for Nobel Price in cosmology?"
"Is tomorrow the last day of the old age? What will the new age bring us?"

Doesn't say much, does it?
Of course not, it is on shaky ground but more evidence shows up. And of course we know the adage, great claims requires great evidence.
I thought it interesting the statement they thought the universe was uniform even before the BB (whereas now they think it started as extremely non-uniform and got uniform some nanoseconds later or some such).
These kind of arguments will have to wait for much more advanced telescopes and CBR detectors.

F

Moves
28 Aug 18

Of course not, it is on shaky ground but more evidence shows up. And of course we know the adage, great claims requires great evidence.
I thought it interesting the statement they thought the universe was uniform even before the BB (whereas now they think it started as extremely non-uniform and got uniform some nanoseconds later or some such).
These kind of arguments will have to wait for much more advanced telescopes and CBR detectors.
Well, I believe that no information can pass the 'singularity' at t=0 from the PreBangian Universe. Until someone can explain how this can be possible, then I don't believe any statements about any statements about a Universe before ours.

This doesn't mean that I reject the idea of a PreBangian Universe. Only that we cannot have any information about it. Every speculation about a PreBaningan Universe will remain as speculations and nothing more. IMHO.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 Aug 18

Well, I believe that no information can pass the 'singularity' at t=0 from the PreBangian Universe. Until someone can explain how this can be possible, then I don't believe any statements about any statements about a Universe before ours.

This doesn't mean that I reject the idea of a PreBangian Universe. Only that we cannot have any information about ...[text shortened]... ery speculation about a PreBaningan Universe will remain as speculations and nothing more. IMHO.
Thanks to Hawking, we know black holes are not a one way street, some of that leaks out which is now called Hawking radiation. It might be similar to what may have gone on if there was a time before the BB.

F

Moves
29 Aug 18

Thanks to Hawking, we know black holes are not a one way street, some of that leaks out which is now called Hawking radiation. It might be similar to what may have gone on if there was a time before the BB.
The radiation leaking out of a black hole contains no information whatsoever of what it is about in there.
Similarly no information about a prior Universe can be gathered from the BigBang. No information can survive the t=0.

Would be nice, cannot be done.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 Aug 18

The radiation leaking out of a black hole contains no information whatsoever of what it is about in there.
Similarly no information about a prior Universe can be gathered from the BigBang. No information can survive the t=0.

Would be nice, cannot be done.
Anti-time will tell๐Ÿ™‚

Moves
29 Aug 18

Anti-time will tell๐Ÿ™‚
Cosmology is beyond my scope of practice. But I've sincerely enjoyed the tone and substance of this thread's discussion.

Interesting grub for thinking.