1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 01:03
    Originally posted by @deepthought
    It's a problem for supersymmetric theories of quantum gravity (SUGRA) as they don't work properly in low numbers of dimensions. Since M theory involves a collection of dualities between the various superstring theories and SUGRA. If SUGRA's broken then they are too. So I think that "only four dimensions" is a problem for these theories.

There is s ...[text shortened]... ass energy is returned to this universe in the end. So it basically hasn't gone into a new one.
    It sounds like a game changer if they show white holes to be true. The stuff inside the WH would be going SOMEWHERE and that somewhere isn't in OUR universe so that alone would require the reality of at least one extra dimension. This must be giving the string dudes headaches😉
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '18 06:31
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    It sounds like a game changer if they show white holes to be true. The stuff inside the WH would be going SOMEWHERE and that somewhere isn't in OUR universe so that alone would require the reality of at least one extra dimension. This must be giving the string dudes headaches😉
    The extra dimensions the string dudes invented, they are small, subatomically small. You know this, don't you?
    Don't use them as a proof about other universes. Because if you try to do, then you end up in pure speculations by false premises of religious proportions.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Sep '18 14:24
    Originally posted by @fabianfnas
    The extra dimensions the string dudes invented, they are small, subatomically small. You know this, don't you?
    Don't use them as a proof about other universes. Because if you try to do, then you end up in pure speculations by false premises of religious proportions.
    For now the extra dimensions are just speculation. Same with other universes.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '18 14:34
    For now the extra dimensions are just speculation. Same with other universes.
    Alright then. The String dudes may be wrong. The other universes may be wrong. The apocalypse people from the Spiritual Forum may be wrong. What about the simulation of the universe, can they be wrong (if you took the right pill)? 😉
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Sep '18 20:43
    Alright then. The String dudes may be wrong. The other universes may be wrong. The apocalypse people from the Spiritual Forum may be wrong. What about the simulation of the universe, can they be wrong (if you took the right pill)? 😉
    It obviously takes a lot more evidence than the circular patterns shown in the cosmic microwave background to say for sure there are other universes but it is a door ever so slightly cracked open in that direction. It would seem to me if that proves true with other corroborating evidence it would be like two bubbles banging together in a swimming pool where the water would represent another dimension allowing both universes to exist side by side, either that or there is a space outside OUR space, which I guess would amount to the same thing. Of course, news at 11.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Sep '18 04:29
    It obviously takes a lot more evidence than the circular patterns shown in the cosmic microwave background to say for sure there are other universes but it is a door ever so slightly cracked open in that direction. It would seem to me if that proves true with other corroborating evidence it would be like two bubbles banging together in a swimming pool wher ...[text shortened]... a space outside OUR space, which I guess would amount to the same thing. Of course, news at 11.
    The circles is just a statistical effect, an effect of flawed numerical methods. Nothing more.
    I'm sure you can produce squared pattern to, if you're not cautious.

You think there are other universes in some direction other than our normal three dimensions. Just point at the four-dimensional direction and show me. Or else think again.
  7. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    24 Sep '18 09:41
    The circles is just a statistical effect, an effect of flawed numerical methods. Nothing more.

You think there are other universes in some direction other than our normal three dimensions. Just point at the four-dimensional direction and show me. Or else think again.
    What about "membrane" theory?
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Sep '18 11:09
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    You mean, according to the string theory, there are 11 dimensions?
    Well, only 4 of them is big enough to be seen or measured.
    The other are subatomic, closed, and has never been observed.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Sep '18 13:07

Of course it is a fairly weak statistical feature which is why I said further evidence is needed to show validity of that evidence. So far that is the only evidence, so time will tell and as the best computers get even stronger, newer analysis can refute or kill that evidence so I am sure scientists are pursuing that method also. Computers are getting up to Exaflop levels, not there yet but that is the future of the best on the planet.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Sep '18 13:17
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    Membrane theory is string theory taken to the next level. Still requiring 10 or 11 dimensions.
    Curled up so you can't see them mostly ever. It is going to take science a LOT more advanced to take advantage of them assuming they are real.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Sep '18 13:55
    Of course it is a fairly weak statistical feature which is why I said further evidence is needed to show validity of that evidence. So far that is the only evidence, so time will tell and as the best computers get even stronger, newer analysis can refute or kill that evidence so I am sure scientists are pursuing that method also. Computers are getting up to Exaflop levels, not there yet but that is the future of the best on the planet.
    Do you remember when they found out that neutrinos were faster than light? Not by much, but a little? Turned out that the experimental methods were flawed.

I think we must be much more cautious when we find 'evidence' of parallel Universes, and such extraordinary results. That's my penny worth.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Sep '18 22:36
    Do you remember when they found out that neutrinos were faster than light? Not by much, but a little? Turned out that the experimental methods were flawed.

I think we must be much more cautious when we find 'evidence' of parallel Universes, and such extraordinary results. That's my penny worth.
    Worth a lot more than a penny my friend. That's why I mentioned the supercomputers which could add credence or kill the evidence, if it is just a statistical anomaly. But I hope not. I hope there is something more than this universe.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 04:28
    Worth a lot more than a penny my friend. That's why I mentioned the supercomputers which could add credence or kill the evidence, if it is just a statistical anomaly. But I hope not. I hope there is something more than this universe.
    Some hope for the return of Messiah. Some hope for a new Universe. Samo, samo.
  14. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 12:03
    Some hope for the return of Messiah. Some hope for a new Universe. Samo, samo.
    See? Nothing religious about it, just crackpot pseudo-science.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 14:17
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    See? Nothing religious about it, just crackpot pseudo-science.
    Funny how a couple hundred years ago it was crackpot theory that man could fly, couldn't take the tremendous wind that would be generated, blown apart in mid air.

Or sending men to the moon, frigging crackpots.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree