1. Joined
    22 Aug '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 11:32
    Is time travel possible ? Well who knows, but this clip is interesting. Or is it just a very well put together hoax.

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/9raw-time-traveler-caught-in-1928-chaplin-film/xgx5jme
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 12:51
    Time travelling is easy. It's changing speed or direction that's hard.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 13:21
    Originally posted by cromlech
    Is time travel possible ? Well who knows, but this clip is interesting. Or is it just a very well put together hoax.

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/9raw-time-traveler-caught-in-1928-chaplin-film/xgx5jme
    The most rational explanation for the appearance of a time traveler in ancient video footage is that it is a hoax. To outweigh all our knowledge of physics and time and the lack of previously identified time travelers, we would need a lot more evidence than a bit of video footage.
    Now if you had some footage of a person explaining some science that has not yet been discovered and it is confirmed to be accurate, then I might sit up and listen. Even highly accurate predictions of the future would be interesting, but they would have to be more than the usual fare of vague prophecy.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 18:24
    Of course it is possible.

Close your eyes for 60 seconds and think hard "Time travel is possible" and when you open your eyes again you will find yourself one whole minute in the future! Isn't it fantastic?

It is backward time travel that is hard.
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Oct '10 02:19
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

Close your eyes for 60 seconds and think hard "Time travel is possible" and when you open your eyes again you will find yourself one whole minute in the future! Isn't it fantastic?

Easy peasy!...Close your eyes and count backwards from 60 seconds and think hard "Time travel is possible" and when you open your eyes again you will find yourself one whole minute in the future!
    😵
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '10 06:341 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    [b]Of course it is possible.

Easy peasy!...Close your eyes and count backwards from 60 seconds and think hard "Time trav nd when you open your eyes again you will find yourself one whole minute in the future!
    😵[/b]
    Counting isn't really neccessary. You flow forward in time nevertheless. You don't even have to close your eyes.

Getting backwards in time is harder. My boss don't understand that. When he sasy "I want that report on my desk yesterday!", he doesn't really know the fundamentals in temporal theory.
  7. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 21:331 edit
    Counting isn't really neccessary. You flow forward in time nevertheless. You don't even have to close your eyes.

Getting backwards in time is harder. My boss don't understand that. When he sasy "I want that report on my desk yesterday!", he doesn't really know the fundamentals in temporal theory.
    So my hearing problem is why I have so much trouble trying to go back in time?
    😉
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Nov '10 14:341 edit

That image has such poor quality, she could just as easily be holding pair of glasses to see better, assuming of course it isn't just a digitally modified addition from our level of technology.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Nov '10 10:14
    Even if we did prove that someone in 1920 had a working cell phone, it would still be more probable that someone back then developed the technology and kept it secret than that it was a time traveler. Sometimes we need to keep things in perspective and not make our dreams our first guess. Another example of such wishful logic:
    1. Everything was created. (no proof).
    2. There must be a creator.
    3. That creator must be my own personal idea of what God is.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    02 Nov '10 11:11

If it is someone with a mobile phone, how do you get a signal in 1928?
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Nov '10 11:59
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Imagine the time roaming charges...
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 18:301 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    It just shows you either the film was done now or the person with the 'cell phone' was just holding her glasses. She could not have been talking to someone, with one exception: If there were two people and you know those cell phones that function also as walkie talkies? She could theoretically be talking that way if the other person with a matching cell phone was nearby. Other than that, the whole thing can be put down to co-incidence. My personal theory is, if it was not a digitally made up hoax, she is holding her glasses. The resolution of the image is so poor, anything could be made up to explain what we see on the film.
  13. Joined
    28 Jul '09
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 11:27
    It's a plug for a movie.
  14. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 14:55

Even changing the rate forward is easy. All you have to do is move. Just that rate wouldn't be noticeable until you reach high speeds.

According to Stephen Hawking, backward time travel isn't possible at all for wormholes that are in close proximity because of feedback.

He used an analogy similar to the grandfather paradox but more instantaneous. You look through a wormhole seeing yourself loading a gun (which you have done previously). You shoot through the wormhole killing yourself with the gun you have just loaded, which will stop you being able to kill yourself.

If you were to think more instantaneous than that, radiation travelling through the wormhole will have an effect upon itself, which will loop around a bit like sound feedback between a microphone and speaker. This will have the effect of destroying the wormhole.

Supposedly backward time travel between wormholes which are distant from each other are possible, but it still can introduce paradoxes if events next to the wormholes are effecting each other in some way.
  15. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    15 Nov '10 22:13
    If you were a time traveller, with a cell phone, chatting with someone in the future... Would you walk around busy streets, talking to yourself, passing by a filming movie set?

Hmm... sure!

Looks like an icepack to me. Maybe she got slugged by an alien. Now there's a more probably explanation!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree