1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Dec '22 01:37
    https://techxplore.com/news/2022-12-paper-thin-solar-cell-surface-power.html

I would like to find out what the percentage of conversion is. Like silicon, running ~20%, what do these cells clock in at?

I have thought about solar cells on sailboats but the ones I saw were all too heavy so this might work to get power on a boat so you can move in spite of zero wind.

Or a layer covering a car so you can extend the range of an EV.

Power per kilo is great but what is the % of conversion?
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Dec '22 08:18
    @sonhouse

The original paper gives the PCE as about 5%, this is why they aim at wearbales not as Power supply for crafts.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Dec '22 05:38
    @Ponderable
    Ah, I didn't see the original. Well, at 5% though with paper thin cells you could pave a whole house walls and all, maybe come close to a 20% job powerwise.

There is also ongoing work on solar paint, slop it on, let it dry and hooked to wires to collect the energy, paint a whole car body with it, have juice to recharge your EV batteries maybe sitting all day in the sun.

Don't have a clue as to the conversion percentage of this stuff still in the labs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree