1. Joined
    07 Dec '07
    Moves
    11 Dec '09 07:09
    The onset of reproductive barriers, or hybrid sterility, is a means of reinforcing genetic incompatibilities between isolated populations, leading to speciation. A handful of genes that underlie hybrid sterility have been discovered, but their molecular mechanism is generally unclear. Bayes and Malik reveal that the hybrid sterility gene Odysseus-site Homeobox (OdsH), which encodes a satellite-DNA binding protein, shows differential DNA binding patterns between the species Drosophila mauritiana and D. simulans; OdsH derived from D. mauritiana localizes to the D. simulans Y chromosome, whereas OdsH derived from D. simulans does not. The incorrect expression, localization, and endurance of the OdsH protein appear to affect spermatogenesis in hybrid males, explaining the mechanism underlying hybrid sterility between these species. Thus, genetic incompatibilities between satellite-DNA and their binding proteins may represent a general basis for hybrid sterility in animals.
  2. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 00:20
    Originally posted by Diodorus Siculus
    The onset of reproductive barriers, or hybrid sterility, is a means of reinforcing genetic incompatibilities between isolated populations, leading to speciation. A handful of genes that underlie hybrid sterility have been discovered, but their molecular mechanism is generally unclear. Bayes and Malik reveal that the hybrid sterility gene Odysseus-si ...[text shortened]... te-DNA and their binding proteins may represent a general basis for hybrid sterility in animals.
    So, you're telling me that all those years i've been trying to get pregnant with a chimp has been all for naught ?

GRANNY.
  3. Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 00:46
    Originally posted by smw6869
    So, you're telling me that all those years i've been trying to get pregnant with a chimp has been all for naught ?

GRANNY.
    Well... Not for naught...

😉
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    24 Jan '10 04:36
    Originally posted by smw6869

GRANNY.
    No no no no no. It's the BABY that will be sterile.
  5. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 05:30
    Horse & Ass cross is a Mule right? A male & female Mule can't reproduce however they being the hybrid.

Manny
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 18:341 edit
    Originally posted by menace71
    Horse & Ass cross is a Mule right? A male & female Mule can't reproduce however they being the hybrid.

Manny
    Mule or Hinny depending on which one's the Daddy and which is the Mommy. Both are sterile. A few female mules and one female hinny were shown to be fertile, but these are very rare.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree