1. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    30 Jan '13 23:26
    They say we are listening and watching outer space for intelligent life.

They also say we are sending signals into outer space to see if that will
    attract intelligent life from other galaxies and planets.

Is this wise? Do we really want to attract the wrong sort?

If there is such a thing as the wrong sort out there
    would we be wiser if we shut up?

Discuss....................................
  2. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 03:44
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    They say we are listening and watching outer space for intelligent life.

They also say we are sending signals into outer space to see if that will
    attract intelligent life from other galaxies and planets.

Is this wise? Do we really want to attract the wrong sort?

If there is such a thing as the wrong sort out there
    would we be wiser if we shut up?

Discuss....................................
    So we should not use radio equipment anymore? Whether we intend to communicate or attract ET or not we probably want to use radio signals for other purposes.
  3. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 04:24
    I would think they would be more worried about contacting us
  4. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 04:38
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    I would think they would be more worried about contacting us
    I know. Aids, Hepatitis, and Herpes makes one hellova repellant.
  5. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 21:22
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    I was thinking more on the lines of our distrust, paranoia, fear, religious and social intolerance, and love of wars.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 01:25
    I was thinking more on the lines of our distrust, paranoia, fear, religious and social intolerance, and love of wars.
    Not really much of an issue for them given that they would be sitting at the top of our
    gravity well and we are stuck at the bottom.

From that position to hit us with kiloton yield weaponry all they would have to do is drop
    lamppost sized rods of tungsten on our heads.

Gravity will give it the energy of a tactical nuclear warhead on the way down.

Simple, cheep, and unstoppable. With no nasty radioactive fallout to worry about.

In space warfare having the high ground really makes a difference.

However one would have to question of why they would bother.

The only things on Earth that you can't get easier and in greater quantities out in space
    are Earth based life forms... And any knowledge/art/culture/science/history they posses.

Things that tend to get destroyed when you drop kiloton grade weaponry on them.

Every raw materiel they could want is readily and easily attainable in vast quantities in asteroids
    and comets.
  7. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 01:331 edit
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Doesn't that presuppose they'll be human and/or they'll want (or are capable of) to have sex with us? Even if they were, that hasn't been much of a repellent here on Earth.
  8. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 01:38
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Not really much of an issue for them given that they would be sitting at the top of our
    gravity well and we are stuck at the bottom.

From that position to hit us with kiloton yield weaponry all they would have to do is drop
    lamppost sized rods of tungsten on our heads.

Gravity will give it the energy of a tactical nuclear warhead on the way dow ...[text shortened]... they could want is readily and easily attainable in vast quantities in asteroids
    and comets.
    I wasn't implying they wanted to conquer us. The fact that they could visit us would suggest they were more advanced. I was suggesting they'd be peaceful and that we'd be too hostile. Remember the old 'War of the Worlds' radio program with Orson Wells? People panicked. They might be aware of that.

I believe comets are mostly made of ice and dust
  9. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 01:431 edit
    They might also be carbon-based life forms like us and since they came here first, they'd have more knowledge and be more advanced scientifically. We'd have very little to offer.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 04:22
    I shouldn't worry - the earth is currently moving through a region of highly ionized hydrogen called the Local Interstellar Cloud which, along with the inverse square law should damp out radio transmissions sufficiently to keep us hidden. Even if we weren't an invasion is unlikely due to cosmological Science Fiction spoilers such as the speed of light.
  11. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 04:41
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I shouldn't worry - the earth is currently moving through a region of highly ionized hydrogen called the Local Interstellar Cloud which, along with the inverse square law should damp out radio transmissions sufficiently to keep us hidden. Even if we weren't an invasion is unlikely due to cosmological Science Fiction spoilers such as the speed of light.
    Don't forget wormholes. They may be short cuts through the fabric of space. The speed of light may not matter.
  12. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 06:05
    Yes you have a stronger point here but you know that if ET visits there is someone that will want to try and have sex with one.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 06:29
    I wasn't implying they wanted to conquer us. The fact that they could visit us would suggest they were more advanced. I was suggesting they'd be peaceful and that we'd be too hostile. Remember the old 'War of the Worlds' radio program with Orson Wells? People panicked. They might be aware of that.

I believe comets are mostly made of ice and dust
    You've reminded me of an episode of the Twilight Zone called "A Small Talent for War" where some aliens turn up and tell the UN that humans have a small talent for war and they're going to destroy us for it. The humans promise to mend their ways and the aliens give us some time to fix things. So, to the bemusement of the aliens, the UN makes a binding agreement for world peace - the problem is that what the aliens meant was that we weren't very good at war and just didn't like fighting enough, and as they'd genetically created us to be soldiers for them they wipe us out.
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 19:421 edit
    Science fiction magazine art just after World War II had ladies rocketing around in space wearing a fishbowl helmet plus an oxygen tank, and precious little else. Green-skinned toothy alien males found our females irresistible and/or tasty. 😳
  15. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 20:08
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    Science fiction magazine art just after World War II had ladies rocketing around in space wearing a fishbowl helmet plus an oxygen tank, and precious little else. Green-skinned toothy alien males found our females irresistible and/or tasty. 😳
    ...until Lisa Nowak came along 😲

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree