17 Jun '15 02:00

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 06:02
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    This is exactly what I mean about 'social competence'. Only because you can solve IQ-test better than others doesn't mean that you are skilled in everything.

I've been in Mensa meetings at one club and found their members are very social skilled, and yet members of another club are very arrogant. ( "My IQ is 162, what's yours?" and "We are better people than others because of our membership in Mensa!" )

Some Mensans are very interesting and I enjoy their company in deep discussions about matters with mutual respect. So some have social skills, some have not, exactly like it is in the society at large.

I believe that women are as skilled statistically to solve IQ-tests as men. But this is a cultural matter. Where I live, female Mensas are as respected as male Mensas. But still they are in a minority of other reasons.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 13:31
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    This is exactly what I mean about 'social competence'. Only because you can solve IQ-test better than others doesn't mean that you are skilled in everything.

I've been in Mensa meetings at one club and found their members are very social skilled, and yet members of another club are very arrogant. ( "My IQ is 162, what's yours?" and "We are better peopl ...[text shortened]... emale Mensas are as respected as male Mensas. But still they are in a minority of other reasons.
    I thought Mensa was mostly for people who think they are really smart but are too lazy to get any academic qualifications and need something to make them feel better about themselves.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 17:52

6. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 18:582 edits

7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 19:431 edit
    Hi, duchie, thank you for that, she was REALLY smart. I don't know how I can tell if someone is intelligent but after observing them for a few minutes, maybe throwing a joke their way, see how fast they get it or not, but it seemed clear she was smart. If I hadn't been married....

Myself, I love intelligent women. I know my limitations, I know my strengths.

I too went to a couple of Mensa meetings but like you said, MY IQ is 162, I bet it's higher than yours, like that is some kind of roadmap to security. In the one meeting where the college kids were making nitroglycerin bombs, a couple of others I overheard say 'well, in MY phd dissetration" My Phd work said this, My phd, etc. I think I heard that kind of statement about 10 times🙂 Then there was this kid kind of struggling to play guitar, which happens to be one of my strengths, I said, I can show you some chord structures if you want, and he YELLS, NO! just a bit on the emphatic side🙂 No help wanted from ANYONE, I'll fail all on my own kind of attitude.

I know I really was helped by Rev. Gary Davis when I met him and spent the evening with him and his wife and my tape recorder🙂 Along with a buddy, Michael Cooney, we both drove to our separate homes to get our tape recorders, came back to the place they were staying, two mic's sticking out, WAIT, play that slower please!

Also had some time with Pete Seeger, he taught me "living in the Country', a guitar instrumental.

BTW, did you see my myspace site? I put it in one of these posts somewhere🙂

I compose tunes for mandolin, guitar, lap dulcimer and piano, no Mozart for sure but I come up with nice melodies.

I think people are not complete till they at least take a plunge into an art.

I think art of all kinds is what makes mankind beautiful. The arts show the best of mankind.

For instance, medical science is great, come a LONG way since the 18th century and such, but it seems today there is not much interest in learning the underlying cure for a disease, only making symptoms go away. That is the drug industry owning the medical industry.

But I digress🙂 If some guy want's his gf or wife to just be a sycophant that is one person I would never spend time with.
    If you don't respect your wife, gf, lover, you are an assshole in my view.

Genius. Now there is a strong word. A word not meant for people with high talents like me, I guess.

Newton, Einstein, Mozart, Da Vinci, Imhotep, Hypatia, Madam Curie, THOSE folks EXUDE genius, even if some of them are asssholes to their peers🙂 They changed the world. THAT is genius to me.

Look at Marylyn Vos Savant, obviously has a Maserati brain but what has she done with it? Touting herself as the smartest in the world, her IQ test done at what, 5 years old?
    Someone asked her what she did with her life, she said, Well, I wrote a book......

Don't think THAT is genius.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 20:32

9. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 21:411 edit

10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 00:473 edits
    How much of her math is known today? I wonder if she had works in the Alexandria library? I just finished a sci fi book called "time travelers never die" and the protagonist goes to the library several times, bringing back lost stories by Sophocles and mailing them anonymously to a classics scholar. I'll bet you would love to go back there, see if she had advanced math scrolls! And a million others, eh! Jack M cdevitt (had to type it that way. Stupid cell tried to force it to be McCloud!) I'm reeling with that one🙂 Anyway he made you feel like you were right there.

BTW, I see you stopped playing almost 2 years ago. What happened to make you decide to stop? I played over your game with Aborn, really nice win!
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 20:08

12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 05:49
    So sorry, no gots a de engine except for an old copy of Fritz, and I lost that🙂 Just my antique neurons. Just wondered if you listened to my my myspace?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jun '15 20:36
    How I hate the "IQ tests just show how good you are at tests" crowd.
    Talk to a room full of people that score below 80 on a standard IQ test versus a group of people that score 120 or more and tell me you don't see the difference.
    Work with them...try to teach them....tell me you don't see the difference.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Jun '15 23:31
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    How I hate the "IQ tests just show how good you are at tests" crowd.
    Talk to a room full of people that score below 80 on a standard IQ test versus a group of people that score 120 or more and tell me you don't see the difference.
    Work with them...try to teach them....tell me you don't see the difference.
    The difference: The people that have 80 IQ's (borderline challenged) are happy! The around 120 the people are not, this is probably because they are just smart enough to realize they are dumb!
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 13:061 edit
    One advantage of Mensa I think is for kids. If a kid with high intelligence is left in the company of average kids, he will stick out like a sore thumb and will will be stigmatized. I know that first hand. I didn't have any contact with Mensa people till I was about 22 years old. I did see some of them doing not so smart things🙂 but all in all, I thought them good people.

For me, I did have a Mensa level group of our own, which I did not know I was in till decades later. When I joined the USAF, we were given qualification tests, several of them.
    I aced about 2/3's of the tests, scored as high as was possible. After boot camp, I was sent to a tech school in Denver and had classes in our subject 7 hours a day for a full year. Then to our job site, Lincoln AFB in Nebraska, no longer an AFB. But the bunch of kids I was with, it turns out, a number of them were already in Mensa so we had been pre-selected for high scores and I found out literally decades later we were considered to be an elite squadron. The nice thing for me was the association with like minded individuals and I was with my mental peers, even though I didn't know it. It was definitely not like being with an average bunch and we were I think, psychologically better adjusted being with similar mental levels. The funny part is I don't think many of us knew how high a level we were as a group.

So the gist of all that is I think Mensa is good for kids but perhaps not so useful for adults. My guess is kids who are introduced to Mensa say at the age of 9 or 10 will be better adjusted than if they never meet with mental peers.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree