This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 11:341 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Very true. The thing is, there are a number of different traits adding up to intelligence, kinetic sense, for instance, visualization/spacial skills, abstract reasoning, language discrimination and so forth. A person who is high on language skills could have an IQ of 100 but be much better in that skill than a Mensa member with an IQ of 150.

I once attended a Mensa meeting and a girl there, obviously extremely intelligent, taught me a game called Pente. I had never seen it before but knew a little bit about Go, which uses the same board and pieces.

Much to my surprise, I beat her the first time I played her, she was a bit disconcerted over that. I have good visualization skills so I could see the patterns involved pretty quickly but I am no genius, only mildly talented in a few skills.

My wife and her daughter are the smart ones in our family. Darcy, her daughter and Susan, my wife, took an IQ test at the same time on a lark. It turned out they made the exact same score but Darcy, being 16 years younger, clocked in at 170 and Susan came in at 155. Pretty awesome scores. Darcy was the jewel of our family. Sadly got killed riding the cycle she loved, her Harley, a woman turned left right in front of her without signalling and it was a head on collision and Darcy was killed instantly.

I met her when she was 16 or so, Susan and I got married at that time. I saw a drawing she made in her first day at an art class in HS. It was a hand, and I swear, looking at it I thought it looked like something Da Vinci would have drawn. Incredibly powerful drawing and the art teacher was literally in tears looking at it.

The world lost a great mind in Darcy. I fell in love with the whole family as soon as I met them and Susan and I married shortly thereafter.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 12:32
    The IQ points you have is a measurement how good you are taking IQ tests, nothing more.

2 % of the population, one in fifty, are candidates to be a Mensa member. Meaning that in every full bus there is statistically a Mensa member or Memsa candidate.

Some Mensa members have very low social skills, some know only one language (his/her own), some cannot find their way out of a city, some don't fix an easy problem with their car. Some have ADHD, Asperger, dyslectic or some other other flaw. But they can manage an IQ test and therefore they have been a member of Mensa.

Why there are less number of women in Mensa than men is only about their relative lack of interest to show-off.

And that's my theory. There are other theories.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 15:333 edits
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

Why there are less number of women in Mensa than men is only about their relative lack of interest to show-off.

actually, I read research somewhere (don't remember where ) that said that, although the average IQ of female people is the same (as far as can be measured ) as that for male people, there is greater variation of IQ for males so that, although there are more male geniuses than female geniuses, there is equally more male morons than female morons.
    That could explain why there are less women than men in Mensa (and thus this is no reflection on the average intelligence of women compared to that of men! )
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 17:01
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    The IQ points you have is a measurement how good you are taking IQ tests, nothing more.

2 % of the population, one in fifty, are candidates to be a Mensa member. Meaning that in every full bus there is statistically a Mensa member or Memsa candidate.

Some Mensa members have very low social skills, some know only one language (his/her own), some cann ...[text shortened]... their relative lack of interest to show-off.

And that's my theory. There are other theories.
    I went to one Mensa meeting in Denver a long time ago and two of the members were playing with nitroglycerin, filling pill capsules with a few drops of the stuff they had in ice water to keep it stable, then putting a BB inside, throwing them against a rock and making a loud boom.

Pretty idiotic behavior for dudes with a 150 IQ I thought.

Although I did something pretty much as dumb when I was 16. My buddy Richard, classmate in HS, got hold of some solid rocket fuel his dad brought home from work, he was a chemical technician at Jet Propulsion laboratory. This stuff, besides being top secret, was very unstable in air and had to be passivated with something like varnish on the outer surface to keep air out so it would not spontaneously catch fire.

So here we were, Rich and I, in his dad's garage, naturally had to get out a chunk and cut it with a razor blade, a piece the thickness of a potato chip and the size of a fingernail. So it was on a workbench and naturally we had to light it with a match. We found out in about 1/10th of a second just how powerful that stuff was. It took off straight up in the air whirling like a helicopter blade and then got stuck inside the wooden shingle ceiling, burning like a torch. You didn't see a couple of young idiots climb up the rafters to put out the fire, moving any faster🙂 We stopped the flames and carefully put the rocket fuel back in its holder, thankful we didn't burn down the house!

But we were only 16. Those dudes were in their 20's.....
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 18:04
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I went to one Mensa meeting in Denver a long time ago and two of the members were playing with nitroglycerin, filling pill capsules with a few drops of the stuff they had in ice water to keep it stable, then putting a BB inside, throwing them against a rock and making a loud boom.

Pretty idiotic behavior for dudes with a 150 IQ I thought.

Although I ...[text shortened]... nkful we didn't burn down the house!

But we were only 16. Those dudes were in their 20's.....
    Nothing says against that a Mensa member can be rather idiotic. But xe is still pretty good at doing IQ tests.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 18:06
    Originally posted by humy
    actually, I read research somewhere (don't remember where ) that said that, although the average IQ of female people is the same (as far as can be measured ) as that for male people, there is greater variation of IQ for males so that, although there are more male geniuses than female geniuses, there is equally more male morons than female morons.
    That c ...[text shortened]... (and thus this is no reflection on the average intelligence of women compared to that of men! )
    Q: And how is this IQ measured?
    A: By solving IQ-tests!
    It doesn't say anything about intelligence.
    Why? Because intelligence isn't defined in a way that shows all facets of intelligence.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 18:211 edit
    About religion? no. My atheism comes from my own reasoning, not other people's, no matter how smart they are in other respects.
    Don't take this the wrong way but,... that is exactly how I would expect someone to answer about their religion... You, like the religious, are kidding yourself if you believe you have some superior logic that can rule out either possibility with any degree of certainty. Your atheism is not a product of your superior reasoning, its most likely the resultant of your inflated ego.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 19:04
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    Don't take this the wrong way but,... that is exactly how I would expect someone to answer about their religion... You, like the religious, are kidding yourself if you believe you have some superior logic that can rule out either possibility with any degree of certainty. Your atheism is not a product of your superior reasoning, its most likely the resultant of your inflated ego.
    For me, I don't think my non-belief comes from ego, I just think there are way too many religions at each other's throats, and have been for literally thousands of years. I just don't think a real deity would set things up like that. I would hope that is my reasoning taking place, and that was one of my objections to religions. There are more but that one is a biggie for me.
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 19:359 edits
    My atheism doesn't come from my "ego" but rather the application of Occam's razor, which is a principle of logic which I humbly don't view in particular as, as you said, "superior" logic, whatever that is supposed to mean. Any kind of valid logic is just boring old valid logic in my perception.
    Religion doesn't come from "inferior logic" because religion doesn't come from logic. If it came from logic, it wouldn't be a religion.

To have the arrogance to believe that oneself is so important as to attract the interest of a deity is "inflated ego".
    To rationally conclude what I don't want to believe which is that I am humbly nothing important or special but evolved from a hairy smelly ape is certainly not as a result of "inflated ego" but logic and, if anything, if hypothetically it wasn't based on logic, it would obviously have to be based on the opposite of "inflated ego"; humility. But it isn't based on humility nor "inflated ego" but logic.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 19:561 edit
    My atheism doesn't come from my "ego" but rather the application of Occam's razor, which is a principle of logic which I humbly don't view in particular as, as you said, "superior" logic, whatever that is supposed to mean. Any kind of valid logic is just boring old valid logic in my perception.

To have the arrogance to believe that oneself is so important as ...[text shortened]... it wasn't based on logic, it would have to be based on the opposite of "inflated ego"; humility.
    "My atheism comes from my own reasoning, not other people's, no matter how smart they are in other respects."

You seem to be missing the point. Literally,... take the word "atheism" in your earlier reply (shown above) and replace it with the word "spirituality". Read it aloud to yourself...Does it now suddenly sound more arrogant, baseless, and absurd than the original statement? If your having trouble, let me give you a hint: Reveal Hidden Content
    the answer is no!; It sounds exactly the same as it did before
  12. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 20:036 edits
    "My atheism comes from my own reasoning, not other people's, no matter how smart they are in other respects."

You seem to be missing the point. Literally,... take the word "atheism" in your earlier reply (shown above) and replace it with the word "religion". Read it aloud to yourself...Does it now suddenly sound more arrogant, baseless, and absurd than t ...[text shortened]... e you a hint: [hidden]the answer is no!; It sounds exactly the same as it did before [/hidden]
    read ALL my last post and come back to us.
    Note the "But it isn't based on humility nor "inflated ego" but logic." in particular; -although my inadvertent conclusion that I am nothing important or special just happens to be humbling, I am not pretending nor CLAIMING to be deliberately humble but that is not to be confused with arrogance.
    To merely state that one's conclusion comes from one's own reasoning is not arrogance; especially if it does.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 20:20
    read ALL my last post and come back to us.
    Note the "But it isn't based on humility nor "inflated ego" but logic." in particular; -although my inadvertent conclusion that I am nothing important or special just happens to be humbling, I am not pretending nor CLAIMING to be deliberately humble but that is not to be confused with arrogance.
    To merely st ...[text shortened]... te that one's conclusion comes from one's own reasoning is not arrogance; especially if it does.
    Iv'e read it 9 times and every time it is different...
  14. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 20:342 edits
    Iv'e read it 9 times and every time it is different...
    read it now and it will not change; not that is ever did change much!

+ how is merely saying:

"My ( ... some conclusion X inserted here...) comes from my own reasoning, not other people's, no matter how smart they are in other respects."

is arrogant?

merely saying that one's conclusion comes from ones own reasoning is not arrogance and the "no matter how smart they are in other respects" part is admitting other people could be smarter than you.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 21:451 edit
    read it now and it will not change; not that is ever did change much!

+ how is merely saying:

"My ( ... some conclusion X inserted here...) comes from my own reasoning, not other people's, no matter how smart they are in other respects."

is arrogant?

merely saying that one's conclusion comes from ones own reasoning is not arrogance and the "no mat ...[text shortened]... how smart they are in other respects" part is admitting other people could be smarter than you.
    The "arrogance" is in the belief that "your own reasoning" is sound enough to definitively stand on a side when confronted with consciousness's ultimate question...I suppose it should more appropriately be termed "ignorance".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree