Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. 01 Sep '08 01:10
    How do you define science?
  2. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    01 Sep '08 03:50 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Zort Boy
    How do you define science?
    I define science as a method of deriving information about how the world works by observation of phenomena, conjectures about the cause, making predictions based on your newly minted theory and experimental evidence to back up those predictions to help understand our universe and our place in it.
  3. 01 Sep '08 04:22
    Originally posted by Zort Boy
    How do you define science?
    Thread 95751
  4. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    01 Sep '08 05:55
    Science: unbiased, evidence-based exploration, conclusions based on the evidence that is methodically collected; then doubting the conclusions

    Faith: believing without evidence and disregarding evidence-based conclusions, even when methodically collected without bias
  5. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    01 Sep '08 15:14
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I define science as a method of deriving information about how the world works by observation of phenomena, conjectures about the cause, making predictions based on your newly minted theory and experimental evidence to back up those predictions to help understand our universe and our place in it.
    please note that predictions are hypotheses until they've been vindicated through hundreds of tests by all sorts of scientists. in science, theory is as close to truth as one gets
  6. Standard member black beetle
    Black Beastie
    01 Sep '08 15:58
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    please note that predictions are hypotheses until they've been vindicated through hundreds of tests by all sorts of scientists. in science, theory is as close to truth as one gets
    Hi coach, I agree

    (BTW Wulebgr I am very happy right now coz I jus' received from a beloved cousin a rare Suba's "Dynamic Chess Strategy"/ 1991 in perfect, brand new condition!!!)
  7. Standard member black beetle
    Black Beastie
    01 Sep '08 15:59
    Suba shows well what science is: you stamble and fall 1000 times and you start up again for a 1001th!
  8. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    02 Sep '08 00:02
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Hi coach, I agree

    (BTW Wulebgr I am very happy right now coz I jus' received from a beloved cousin a rare Suba's "Dynamic Chess Strategy"/ 1991 in perfect, brand new condition!!!)
    That's an excellent book. I read much of it several years ago.
  9. Standard member black beetle
    Black Beastie
    02 Sep '08 03:17
    Yes indeed!
  10. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    02 Sep '08 05:34
    Then after reading and forgetting, I was paying a kid (that happened to be a master) for some lessons, and he showed me

    White to play and draw

  11. Standard member black beetle
    Black Beastie
    02 Sep '08 11:27
    I know this wonderful position -satori!

    Hey Zort Boy dude, I hope you estimate that the science of the chess is an ever existing quality