Originally posted by joe shmo
The question shouldn't be whether or not they lie, but to what extent?
I often find myself "lying" about my results ( albeit unintentionally). Sometimes you just "get it wrong"
the pressure to lie about "getting it wrong" is proportional to the individuals stock in the result. Its a human condition.
That pressure doesn't mean that most won't come ...[text shortened]... re grappling with.
I'm not saying it should be this way, I'm only saying that it is this way.
Look at the dudes who reported a slight increase in the speed of neutrino's a few years ago, thought they were going faster than c. They were not lying. They thought they had done all their homework and such but were proven wrong at the end due to some systematic errors they had not accounted for.
I wrote up a report once on a way to recover some hybrid electronics I was working on at Raytheon, some radar related circuits for the US navy.
These circuits were small, about 4 cm x 3 cm and in a metal box that had a lid that would eventually be hermetically sealed when we finished manufacturing them.
So there were boxes of them bad, accumulating.
One day (before the ban on liquid freon) I had one up and operating and it was not working. We used a micro probe with a microscope to plop the probe down to the measuring points and such.
So one day I took one of the bad ones and hooked it up and sure enough, DOA.
I had a small bottle of liquid freon at my test station and thought maybe it would reveal hot spots in the circuit.
So I squirted some, enough to halfway fill the little box, covering the tiny circuit board and lo and behold, I saw bubbles emitting from the circuitboard. So using the microscope, I tuned in on where the bubbles were and found a gold bond wire, almost invisible to the naked eye, shorting out some contact points.
Take out the offending gold bond wire (maybe 4 mm long) with micro tweezers, and Boom, instant repair!
So I dug into the big box of rejects and managed to salvage about half of them, wrote up my report and such.
So I kept at it but then saw if I left the circuit running too long with the freon in it, the current or the heat, not sure which caused it, but the aluminum VCC tracks were being rather quickly eaten away. So I found I had to hook up the circuit, run it for only a few seconds, find the offending wire or other short and get it going again.
I was a bit embarrassed to find that and didn't report THAT little quirk🙂
So I was a bit dishonest, but I did get a lot of product out of that junk pile. I never told anyone how liquid freon, under the influence of perhaps heat or perhaps electric fields, not sure which, anyway, it ate away aluminum current paths rather efficiently!
THAT I didn't report🙂