1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 04:03
    I tried googling the history of the acceleration formula's like
    S=(AT^2)/2; A=2S/T^2; T=(2S/A)^0.5; V=A

All I found was explanatories but we all learned these in HS, I wondered where they came from, who developed them.
    My guess would be Isaac because of the Universal laws of gravitation but found nothing specific to the above mentioned ones.
    Trying to do my S A T's🙂
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 05:15
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I tried googling the history of the acceleration formula's like
    S=(AT^2)/2; A=2S/T^2; T=(2S/A)^0.5; V=A

All I found was explanatories but we all learned these in HS, I wondered where they came from, who developed them.
    My guess would be Isaac because of the Universal laws of gravitation but found nothing specific to the above mentioned ones.
    Trying to do my S A T's🙂
    My guess is Newton. He pretty much invented mechanics, and the acceleration equation is based off of taking the derivative of the velocity equation with respect for time (itself a derivative of position). To do that you need calculus, and Newton invented calculus (simultaneously with some other guy I think).
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 05:23
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    My guess is Newton. He pretty much invented mechanics, and the acceleration equation is based off of taking the derivative of the velocity equation with respect for time (itself a derivative of position). To do that you need calculus, and Newton invented calculus (simultaneously with some other guy I think).
    The 'other guy' being Leibniz, the german. We still use his notation for integration to this day.
    I wonder if the algebraics are in the Principia?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree