1. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 21:141 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Tell that to people who try to tell others they are fools for not accepting evolution as truth.
    Let me explain how science works, just so we're clear.

You have scientific facts, that would include both the natural laws and physical objects like
    fossils. These are facts, since only a mad man could deny their accuracy/existence.

Then you have scientific evidence. That would be observations that anyone can make, and
    thereby verify. An observation could be fossils placed in chronological order, and then you
    see a progression from one form to another. It could also be the result of an experiment
    that is repeatable. A scientific piece of evidence is not necessarily a scientific fact, since
    it's possible to misunderstand what you observe, or certain facts could be missing so you
    don't get the complete picture.

Finally you have plausible explanatory models that must account for the above. It's this
    model that allows us to test whether or not we have a decent grasp on the full picture
    regarding a specific class of evidence. The point of an explanatory model is to expand our
    understanding of reality, and hopefully discover new and interesting facts. It does this by
    allowing us to make predictions and test whether or not those predictions come true. This
    explanatory model is called an hypothesis initially.

An important part of real science is the peer-review process. The idea here is that you must
    submit your hypothesis to the community for serious inspection. Other scientists whose
    fields of science are somehow related to your hypothesis will examine it thoroughly. Their
    goal is to find everything wrong with it, and if you (or anyone else) can't correct your model
    to account for any contradictory evidence, you lose and the hypothesis will join that heap
    of sad failures that's constantly growing.

However, should your hypothesis pass the peer-review process, and if there's enough
    evidence to support it, it will be taken as a workable theory. At that point, though it's not a
    scientific fact, it's considered to be an essential truth from which new hypothesis and
    theories can be spawned. Some of those may lead away from the theory, in which case it is
    again put into question, and the cycle continues.

Now, the theory of evolution has withstood serious peer-review inspection for over a
    hundred and fifty years, and there's a massive amount of scientific fact and evidence
    collected, all of which support the theory, none of which contradicts it (though creationists
    attempt to argue otherwise, in the eyes of the scientific community they fail).

It's still a possibility that evolution is shown to not be a complete explanation, like newton's
    theory of gravity was shown to not be complete, but it's worked so far as a model that can
    account for all the collected facts, allow successful predictions and spawn new and
    interesting fields of science. It's a very useful and solid theory at this point, and only
    religious literalists yet oppose it.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 21:22
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Faith means believing propositions to be true without evidence sufficient to
    justify such belief or despite evidence that the proposition is false.

Science NEVER does this.

And correspondingly science neither contains nor requires faith.

Claims otherwise are a pathetic creationist lie.
    Believing in the Theory of Evolution is obviously based on faith, because there is not sufficient evidence to justify such a belief. And despite evidence that the proposition is false, the proposition is still accepted on faith.
  3. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 21:31
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Believing in the Theory of Evolution is obviously based on faith, because there is not sufficient evidence to justify such a belief. And despite evidence that the proposition is false, the proposition is still accepted on faith.
    Wrong.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 21:422 edits
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Let me explain how science works, just so we're clear.

You have scientific facts, that would include both the natural laws and physical objects like
    fossils. These are facts, since only a mad man could deny their existence.

Then you have scientific evidence. That would be observations that anyone can make, and
    thereby verify. An observation could be ...[text shortened]... 's a very useful and solid theory at this point, and only
    religious literalists yet oppose it.
    Both creationists and evolutionist observe fossils, but there is no way to be sure fossils are placed in chronological order of age because the age of fossils can not be determined by observation.

Evolution from one kind of an animal to another has never been repeated. Therefore, we can't know it ever happened.

There has been no progression from one kind of animal to another ever observed to support the evolution theory. The vast amount of transistional fossils (missing links) that Darwin predicted would be found are still missing. Therefore, the evolutionary model has been a failure in providing any truth.

The Evolution Theory is only accepted by those scientists that believe and have faith in it because of their brainwashing by evolutionists. Many scientist have refused to be fooled into accepting this religion of evolution by faith.
  5. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 21:491 edit
    Both creationists and evolutionist observe fossils, but there is no way to be sure fossils are placed in chronological order of age because the age of fossils can not be determined by observation.
    We find fossil X in a strata that is below the strata of fossil Y. Chronological order doesn't
    imply that we know the exact age of fossil X and Y, only that we know in which order they
    died, first fossil X and then fossil Y.
  6. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 21:531 edit
    Evolution from one kind of an animal to another has never been repeated. Therefore, we can't know it ever happened.
    As I showed in the gods image thread over in the spirituality forum, scientists have now
    observed new information added to DNA. That's all you need to observe to accept the fact
    of the process of evolution. In fact, in that specific experiment, you see one species of
    bacteria evolving into a new species.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 21:55
    We find fossil X in a strata that is below the strata of fossil Y. Chronological order doesn't
    imply that we know the exact age of fossil X and Y, only that we know in which order they
    died, first fossil X and then fossil Y.
    That still would not prove the order that each died. That would only be an assumption. To ASSUME is a good way to make an ASS out of U and ME, but not a good way to do science.
  8. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 21:56
    The vast amount of transistional fossils (missing links) that Darwin predicted would be found are still missing. Therefore, the evolutionary model has been a failure in providing any truth.
    As I've already explained my knuckleheaded friend, if you put the fossils found in
    chronological order you see the progression between forms. Every fossil that appears
    between two other fossils is a link.
  9. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 21:58
    The Evolution Theory is only accepted by those scientists that believe and have faith in it because of their brainwashing by evolutionists.
    No it's been accepted by the scientific community as a whole because there's no way to
    refute the overwhelming evidence.
  10. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 22:01
    That still would not prove the order that each died.
    Since a strata, as a matter of scientific fact, takes a long time to form, it is a safe bet that
    animals died in the order of strata their fossils are found.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 22:02
    As I showed in the gods image thread over in the spirituality forum, scientists have now
    observed new information added to DNA. That's all you need to observe to accept the fact
    of the process of evolution. In fact, in that specific experiment, you see one species of
    bacteria evolving into a new species.
    I didn't see that there was new information added to DNA. However, even if scientists are able to add new information to DNA, that would not be proof of the theory of evolution. We need to see one kind of animal changing to another kind of animal to prove the theory of evolution.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 22:09
    Since a strata, as a matter of scientific fact, takes a long time to form, it is a safe bet that
    animals died in the order of strata their fossils are found.
    The eruption of Mount St. Helens in 1980 has already proven that the laying down of strata by volcanic ass, water, and mud flow can happen very quickly. Also dead animals in moving water are not sorted out by time of death
  13. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 22:111 edit
    I didn't see that there was new information added to DNA. However, even if scientists are able to add new information to DNA, that would not be proof of the theory of evolution. We need to see one kind of animal changing to another kind of animal to prove the theory of evolution.
    I will repeat. It was observed that a gene duplication took place, producing a DNA that is at
    least one gene longer than the original, and then that gene changed to allow the bacteria in
    question to use citrate acid as a carbon source (which specifically makes it a different
    species of bacteria). Whether or not you understand the concept of added information to
    DNA is irrelevant to scientists world over.
  14. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 22:15
    The eruption of Mount St. Helens in 1980 has already proven that the laying down of strata by volcanic ass [sic], water, and mud flow can happen very quickly. Also dead animals in moving water are not sorted out by time of death
    Geology is not something I'm really knowledgable about, but from your failures to
    understand how DNA works and yet act so confidently, I think I can safely assume you're
    talking out of your volcanic ass.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 22:16
    I will repeat. It was observed that a gene duplication took place, producing a DNA that is at
    least one gene longer than the original, and then that gene changed to allow the bacteria in
    question to use citrate acid as a carbon source (which specifically makes it a different
    species of bacteria). Whether or not you understand the concept of added information to
    DNA is irrelevant to scientists world over.
    It is still a bacteria the same as a person with an extra toe or finger is still a human. No evolution there, just a variety.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree