1. Standard memberpawnpaw
    Please Pay Attention
    Lethabong
    Moves
    25 Feb '20 12:03
    https://www.universetoday.com/144694/betelgeuse-is-continuing-to-dim-its-down-to-1-506-magnitude/
    The distant star Betelgeuse has been dimming since last year, even more than its usual cycles.
    Can Orion exist without its main actor?
  2. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    25 Feb '20 15:211 edit
    @pawnpaw said
    https://www.universetoday.com/144694/betelgeuse-is-continuing-to-dim-its-down-to-1-506-magnitude/
    The distant star Betelgeuse has been dimming since last year, even more than its usual cycles.
    Betelgeuse is a huge star, I mean really huge, huger than Trump. I'd be more concerned about it going supernova, which could happen any day, although experts say that's not likely, but they're really not sure. If it does go supernova, we'll be in for the biggest light show in history, and when it's over, we'll have a new neighbor ... a super-groovy neutron star. Then we can open-up this neutron star to vacationing thrill-seekers so they can walk around, as long as they don't forget their anti-grav boots.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    27 Feb '20 04:08
    @bunnyknight said
    Betelgeuse is a huge star, I mean really huge, huger than Trump. I'd be more concerned about it going supernova, which could happen any day, although experts say that's not likely, but they're really not sure. If it does go supernova, we'll be in for the biggest light show in history, and when it's over, we'll have a new neighbor ... a super-groovy neutron star. Then w ...[text shortened]... ationing thrill-seekers so they can walk around, as long as they don't forget their anti-grav boots.
    When astronomers say "...any day now." what they mean is at any point in the next couple of million years. It seems to have shed a lot of dust, so the dimming's likely to be due to occlusion rather than impending doom. It's a supergiant and it's close at 700 light years, it has an angular diameter of 44 milli-arcseconds so with the latest kit they can look at the surface.
  4. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    27 Feb '20 04:19
    @deepthought said
    When astronomers say "...any day now." what they mean is at any point in the next couple of million years. It seems to have shed a lot of dust, so the dimming's likely to be due to occlusion rather than impending doom. It's a supergiant and it's close at 700 light years, it has an angular diameter of 44 milli-arcseconds so with the latest kit they can look at the surface.
    Actually some astronomers say that it could likely blow within 100,000 years, or much sooner. No way to be sure.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    27 Feb '20 04:45
    @bunnyknight said
    Betelgeuse is a huge star, I mean really huge, huger than Trump. I'd be more concerned about it going supernova, which could happen any day, although experts say that's not likely, but they're really not sure. If it does go supernova, we'll be in for the biggest light show in history, and when it's over, we'll have a new neighbor ... a super-groovy neutron star. Then w ...[text shortened]... ationing thrill-seekers so they can walk around, as long as they don't forget their anti-grav boots.
    The biggest light show in history, at least as far as apparent magnitude is concerned, was the Soviet RDS-202, code name Ivan, NATO name Tsar Bomba. They show it go off several times, at 2:00 they show the moment the bomb goes off from inside the cockpit of the bomber that dropped it, which was hightailing it out of there as fast as it could, giving an idea of how bright it was:

YouTube
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Feb '20 00:43
    @pawnpaw said
    Rigel and the belt are co-stars aren't they?
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    28 Feb '20 02:39
    @wolfgang59 said
    Rigel and the belt are co-stars aren't they?
    What do you mean by co-star? Rigel is 860 light years away and has 3 companion stars called Rigel Ba, Rigel Bb and Rigel C. The belt consists of Alnitak 1,260 ly away, Alnilam 2,000 ly away, and Mintaka 1,200 ly away. Alnitak is a triple system, Alnilam is a blue supergiant and Mintaka is a binary. The stars are not gravitationally coupled to each other, so if by co-star you mean a gravitationally bound system then no.

The belt stars are in a stellar association called OB1 and share a common origin, Rigel is an outlying member of this association - if this is what you mean by co-star then yes.
  8. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    28 Feb '20 03:18
    @deepthought said
    The biggest light show in history, at least as far as apparent magnitude is concerned, was the Soviet RDS-202, code name Ivan, NATO name Tsar Bomba. They show it go off several times, at 2:00 they show the moment the bomb goes off from inside the cockpit of the bomber that dropped it, which was hightailing it out of there as fast as it could, giving an idea of how bright it was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBNhYOmEgy0
    Yup, that bomb was probably the most illuminating Earth-based event in recent human history, but compared to cosmic explosions it was nothing more than a tiny spark.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    28 Feb '20 03:30
    @bunnyknight said
    Yup, that bomb was probably the most illuminating Earth-based event in recent human history, but compared to cosmic explosions it was nothing more than a tiny spark.
    I used the words "apparent magnitude" for a reason. As seen from Earth it was brighter than the Sun. Drop one on the Sun and you'll barely notice it. I'm intrigued by the words: "... event in recent human history", do you know of an older event that was brighter? Unless they start doing atmospheric tests of ludicrously oversized buckets of sunshine then I think it actually will be the brightest event in the entire lifetime of the planet from just after the collision event that formed the moon until its likely absorption by the Sun when it becomes a red giant.
  10. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    28 Feb '20 03:391 edit
    @deepthought said
    I used the words "apparent magnitude" for a reason. As seen from Earth it was brighter than the Sun. Drop one on the Sun and you'll barely notice it. I'm intrigued by the words: "... event in recent human history", do you know of an older event that was brighter? Unless they start doing atmospheric tests of ludicrously oversized buckets of sunshine then I think it act ...[text shortened]... ision event that formed the moon until its likely absorption by the Sun when it becomes a red giant.
    I was thinking of that Krakatoa volcano explosion which was much more powerful, however in pure light output that bomb might have been brighter. Of course, a hi-power laser 1 inch from your eye would top even that, so it depends on how you decide to measure it.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Feb '20 03:47
    @deepthought said
    What do you mean by co-star?
    CLUE: I was replying to Can Orion exist without its main actor?
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    28 Feb '20 07:39
    @bunnyknight said
    I was thinking of that Krakatoa volcano explosion which was much more powerful, however in pure light output that bomb might have been brighter. Of course, a hi-power laser 1 inch from your eye would top even that, so it depends on how you decide to measure it.
    It's the energy density that matters, so although Krakatoa, or for that matter the meteorite that put paid to the dinosaurs were really energetic events the energy was spread over a lot of material so they can't really compete with a hydrogen bomb.

Synchrotron radiation is a thought, that might actually compete. The problem is that the Diamond synchrotron website [1] just gives 10 billion times brighter than the Sun. In the first millisecond an atom bomb is probably brighter than that. As the temperature just after the nuclear reactions have ceased is of the order of hundreds of millions of Kelvin (for Tsar Bomba I got a back of the envelope figure of 37 billion Kelvin) and the luminosity goes as the fourth power of temperature it should be considerably brighter, but I'd prefer an actual figure for the brightness of the synchrotron rather than how much brighter it is than the Sun where I'm not sure how they've done the calculation.

[1] https://www.diamond.ac.uk/Home/About/FAQs/About-Synchrotrons.html
  13. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    28 Feb '20 15:49
    @deepthought said
    It's the energy density that matters, so although Krakatoa, or for that matter the meteorite that put paid to the dinosaurs were really energetic events the energy was spread over a lot of material so they can't really compete with a hydrogen bomb.

Synchrotron radiation is a thought, that might actually compete. The problem is that the Diamond synchrotron website [1] ...[text shortened]... ey've done the calculation.

[1] https://www.diamond.ac.uk/Home/About/FAQs/About-Synchrotrons.html
    I was just trying to imagine the entire light output of that Tsar Bomb concentrated into a parallel beam 1cm in diameter. I bet it could burn through more than a cardboard box.
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    28 Feb '20 18:09
    @bunnyknight said
    I was just trying to imagine the entire light output of that Tsar Bomb concentrated into a parallel beam 1cm in diameter. I bet it could burn through more than a cardboard box.
    Well the experimenters can't be in the room that the synchrotron radiation is deposited into. The closest I think one could do to focusing the output of an atom bomb is to encase it in a hollow shell of lead, or some other dense material, to a thickness of several tens of metres, but with an opening. The interior of the lead would turn to plasma which would tend to reflect the X-rays out of the hole. I think the opening would have to be wider than a couple of centimetres though. I've an idea that they were investigating that kind of idea when they started looking at SDI in the 80's.
  15. Standard memberMammy Blue
    Delicious Monster...
    Moves
    06 Mar '20 11:55
    @bunnyknight
    Someone told me if you place Betelgeuse in the position of our sun, it would engulf Mercurius, Venus, Earth, our moon, Mars, Neptune and Saturn.
    Quite big...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree