Moves
    12 Oct '15 16:17
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-10-world-oldest-scientist-alzheimer.html

We need a few million more like him!
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    13 Oct '15 07:08
    I like this link below where he correctly implies that the claim that dietary cholesterol causes heart disease is myth, which it is because I have read of research that PROOVES this by merely pointing out the basic biological facts that show the claim makes absolutely no sense whatsoever! (such as the fact that cholesterol in the body is produced by the body itself and thus comes from the body itself + without cholesterol in the body, we will all die! etc). I, for the life of me, cannot understand why, despite the evidence, the myth, EVEN amount doctors and medical scientists, stubbornly persists and just will not go away; this makes a mockery of scientific method.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-08-scientist-orthodoxy-heart-disease.html#nRlv

“...

Kummerow maintains that dietary cholesterol, like that found in eggs, meat or milk, is not a danger to the heart.

"Based on the misconception that high cholesterol was responsible for heart disease, pharmaceutical companies started developing drugs to lower the levels of cholesterol in patients with hypercholesterolemia," he said. "In my view, the biggest setback in heart disease treatment has been the overuse of statins for the treatment of high cholesterol."
    Doctors continue to subscribe to the idea that dietary cholesterol is a danger to heart health, even though studies show that more than half of heart attacks occur in patients who have normal, or low, cholesterol levels, he said.

In his own research, Kummerow analyzed the arteries and plasma of patients who had undergone heart bypass operations. He found that the blood plasma of the heart patients contained elevated levels of oxidized cholesterols, called oxysterols. These cholesterol derivatives are the real culprit in the development of heart disease, Kummerow said. Frying foods in overused oil or smoking cigarettes can oxidize cholesterol, creating these derivatives.
    Further studies of the foods that contain oxysterols have established a direct link between these foods and heart disease, Kummerow said.
    "My findings indicate fried foods, powdered egg yolks used as an ingredient to make processed foods, excessive use of vegetable oils and cigarette smoke are the greatest culprits in heart disease," he said. "Fried foods and powdered food substitutes are dietary sources of oxysterols, which alter the phospholipid membranes of our arteries in ways that increase the deposition of calcium, a key hallmark of atherosclerosis."

Kummerow also is a long-time advocate for the elimination of artificial trans fats (those generated by the hydrogenation of oils) from the food supply. His research has shown that dietary trans fats accumulate in the tissues and interfere with the production of prostacyclin, a naturally occurring factor in the blood that keeps it fluid, preventing dangerous blood clots.
    ..”
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Oct '15 12:32
    Originally posted by humy
    I like this link below where he correctly implies that the claim that dietary cholesterol causes heart disease is myth, which it is because I have read of research that PROOVES this by merely pointing out the basic biological facts that show the claim makes absolutely no sense whatsoever! (such as the fact that cholesterol in the body is produced by the body it ...[text shortened]... rally occurring factor in the blood that keeps it fluid, preventing dangerous blood clots.
    ..”
    I think he won THAT battle at least, the trans-fat issue. Kudo's for him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree