1. A dark cave
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 09:05
    Sorry if this has been suggested before. I've been playing some fast games recently and it always frustrates me when I name the game 'aim to finish today' to find the player makes 3 quick moves, then doesn't move for another 20 hours because it's 1/0 game and they're not forced to. In principal, I have no grudge against these people - they are moving within the time constraints which they are perfectly within their rights to do. It has made me think, though - could we have a shorter timeout? I would say 12 hours would have to be the minimum, otherwise a player could easily claim the game while the other is sleeping. I like quick games but I don't want to force anyone to stay up all night!
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 11:16
    Originally posted by GarethNicholls
    Sorry if this has been suggested before. I've been playing some fast games recently and it always frustrates me when I name the game 'aim to finish today' to find the player makes 3 quick moves, then doesn't move for another 20 hours because it's 1/0 game and they're not forced to. In principal, I have no grudge against these people - they are moving ...[text shortened]... er is sleeping. I like quick games but I don't want to force anyone to stay up all night!
    Then why not play blitz?

1 day should be the minimum.
    The reason is simple:
    RHP is global. When you are awake, then I am asleep. When I wake up, then you go to bed. One move a day is a garantee that I am awake when it is my turn to make a move.

If I wanted a quick game, then I would play blitz.
    RHP is primarily a correspondence chess site.
  3. A dark cave
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 13:51
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Then why not play blitz?

1 day should be the minimum.
    The reason is simple:
    RHP is global. When you are awake, then I am asleep. When I wake up, then you go to bed. One move a day is a garantee that I am awake when it is my turn to make a move.

If I wanted a quick game, then I would play blitz.
    RHP is primarily a correspondence chess site.
    I agree, blitz is probably more appropriate, although I wish it was rated.
    On the subject of not playing while asleep - as I said, that's why 12 hours would be the minimum. That gives you plenty of time to sleep, shower, and get back to your PC in time to move, even if your opponent has tried to be sly.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree