[Round "?"]
    [White "NN"]
    [Black "NN"]
    [WhiteRating "1514"]
    [BlackRating "9999"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [GameId "******"]

^ this is a typical Game header.

The (*small*) problem I have is that I like to keep a database of my games, and when I copy & paste this PGN "code" it understands everything but "Rating"

therefore, I'd like one of you RHP "Code-monkies" to change the line:

[white rating "9999"]

with:

[White Elo "9999"] which my chess software (fritz 8, babas chess) will actually reckonise.

....I'm sure other people can back me up and/or slam me down on this one, but personally It would be a great little change, because it makes my life easier.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Sep '06 19:421 edit
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    [Event "Challenge"]
    [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"]
    [Date "2006.09.18"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "NN"]
    [Black "NN"]
    [WhiteRating "1514"]
    [BlackRating "9999"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [GameId "******"]

The (*small*) problem I have is that I like to keep a database of my games, and when I copy & paste this PGN "code" it would be a great little change, because it makes my life easier.
    Convert your database to text file
    Use the Replace Function (usually under Edit) to replace:

WhiteRating
    with
    WhiteELO

Do the same for black.

Now you are a code monkey!

P-
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 09:09
    [Event "Challenge"]
    [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"]
    [Date "2006.09.18"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "NN"]
    [Black "NN"]
    [WhiteRating "1514"]
    [BlackRating "9999"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [GameId "******"]

The (*small*) problem I have is that I like to keep a database of my games, and when I copy & paste this PGN "code" it ...[text shortened]... would be a great little change, because it makes my life easier.
    Is the rating used here based on Elo rating or is it figured using the same formula?

Elo is not standard throughout the entire chess playing world, but I suspect that if this site uses Elo as their standard, then the PGN *would* say Elo. Why should the site change the PGN to say Elo, if it is *not* Elo?
  4. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 09:19
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Is the rating used here based on Elo rating or is it figured using the same formula?

Elo is not standard throughout the entire chess playing world, but I suspect that if this site uses Elo as their standard, then the PGN *would* say Elo. Why should the site change the PGN to say Elo, if it is *not* Elo?
    It is still Elo because that is the method of calculating relative playing ability (it does use the same formula). As it is only relative to the other players on this site, it cannot really be compared to Elo used by FIDE. Elo is a system that doesn't always have to be used with chess.

I suppose Elo wouldn't be shown on the PGN as a lot of people would interpret it as the same level of Elo used by FIDE.

As a vast number of games on this site gets abandoned early etc, it is likely that a 1500 player here would be lower playing ability than a 1500 Elo FIDE player, as it would be based on games with more strict playing conditions.
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 13:13
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Outside of BCF ratings all chess ratings are ELO including RHP.
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 18:07
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Convert your database to text file
    Use the Replace Function (usually under Edit) to replace:

WhiteRating
    with
    WhiteELO

Do the same for black.

Now you are a code monkey!

P-
    thats what i am doing currently.....

but it takes quite a bit of effort when all my games finish at different times and so fourth.
  7. Joined
    29 Sep '06
    Moves
    30 Sep '06 21:41
    The (*small*) problem I have is that I like to keep a database of my games, and when I copy & paste this PGN "code" it understands everything but "Rating"

therefore, I'd like one of you RHP "Code-monkies" to change the line:

[white rating "9999"]

with:

[White Elo "9999"] which my chess software (fritz 8, babas chess) will actually reckonise.

....I'm sure other people can back me ...[text shortened]... , but personally It would be a great little change, because it makes my life easier.[/b]
    Perhaps you should try SCID.

It accepts Rating, BCF, ELO, ICCF, USCF, Rapid, & DWZ (whatever that is).

SCID is a fantastic piece of software with a few easily forgiven bugs.

I recently bought Chessbase 9 & Fritz 9 both of which are so bug-ridden & awful to use that I've given up on them & am now using SCID as my database & Arena as my Game environment. They are far superior to their Chessbase equivalents in almost every respect except presentation & frankly that wasn't worth the 130 odd pounds I paid for them.

Oh. SCID & Arena are both free BTW.
  8. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 18:36
    Originally posted by ColonelCustard
    Perhaps you should try SCID.

It accepts Rating, BCF, ELO, ICCF, USCF, Rapid, & DWZ (whatever that is).

SCID is a fantastic piece of software with a few easily forgiven bugs.

I recently bought Chessbase 9 & Fritz 9 both of which are so bug-ridden & awful to use that I've given up on them & am now using SCID as my database & Arena as my Game en ...[text shortened]... y that wasn't worth the 130 odd pounds I paid for them.

Oh. SCID & Arena are both free BTW.
    that invloves more downloads.....

and I don;t see the point in that ---- all the RHP codemonkies would have to do is change "rating" with "elo" and I don't see why this would be difficualt.
  9. Joined
    29 Sep '06
    Moves
    03 Oct '06 04:30
    that invloves more downloads.....

and I don;t see the point in that ---- all the RHP codemonkies would have to do is change "rating" with "elo" and I don't see why this would be difficualt.
    Yeah but they're very easy downloads. Unless you're connected via a telephone network of course.

Besides, ELO ratings & RHP ratings are completely different. That's why they're called different things. I'm sure it's a chess rather than a technical issue.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree