1. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '08 11:032 edits
    (this is very similar to my “A “replies to posts” search facility” thread: )

I often want to find the origin of the quote that somebody has replied to when he has used the “reply and quote” facility but this sometimes can be very tedious and time consuming because the person that has used the “reply and quote” facility may just show a tiny part of what the other person said in his post and it is often difficult to spot which post that quote was in and where in the thread that post is and also exactly where in that post that quote originated.
    I am sure many of you have had this problem also.

So I propose that there should be a “show origin of quote” facility that, with just one click, takes you straight to the correct page number and post and, ideally, even highlights where the original quote came from within that post! -this would sometimes save a huge amount of time and tedium.

At the very least, what should be done is, instead of the quote in a “reply and quote” starting with just a comment like “Originally posted by FabianFnas” which only says who made the comment, the quote should start with a comment like “Originally posted by FabianFnas page 4 third post down” which would at least tell you where the post is in the thread thus saving time and tedium searching for the correct page number and location of that post when that post could be a large number of pages back.

Will some of you show support for that?
  2. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    05 Nov '08 02:04
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    (this is very similar to my “A “replies to posts” search facility” thread: )

I often want to find the origin of the quote that somebody has replied to when he has used the “reply and quote” facility but this sometimes can be very tedious and time consuming because the person that has used the “reply and quote” facility may just show a tiny part of ...[text shortened]... when that post could be a large number of pages back.

Will some of you show support for that?
    Lazy, lazy, lazy
  3. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '08 09:415 edits
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    Lazy, lazy, lazy
    Perhaps not as lazy as you might think -once somebody gave a response to one of my quotes which I didn’t recall making in one of my posts and I wondered if he just made it up and it took me, I guess, about an hour to very tediously search through all of the past posts of that thread until I eventually found it tucked away in the middle of a paragraph of one of my posts a few pages back.

That was, admittedly, an extreme case. But I am a slow reader (I am mildly dyslexic -note how often I normally re-edit my posts!) and I occasionally have to tediously spend a few minutes finding the origin of some of these quotes.

Can anyone here confirm that they have had a similar experience?
  4. Dublin
    Moves
    05 Nov '08 11:34
    Just search (Ctrl + F) for a few words in the quote and you'll find the original post. You might have to search on a couple of pages but it wouldn't take long.
  5. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '08 16:05
    Originally posted by Schumi
    Just search (Ctrl + F) for a few words in the quote and you'll find the original post. You might have to search on a couple of pages but it wouldn't take long.
    Thanks for that -I didn’t know we had that facility here.
    I just have just tested it out on a large thread and it definitely helps a bit 🙂

But I still think it would help if there was a search facility that would search ALL the thread at once (and not just the current page) for a word/quote so that there is at least a chance that it might immediately bring you to the correct post on the correct page -I think that would be a great time saver for me.
  6. The sky
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 07:15
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    Thanks for that -I didn’t know we had that facility here.
    It's a browser facility that has nothing to do with the site.

I have been searching for the origin of a quote a few times in long threads, so I agree that it would be a nice feature to have a direct link. On the other hand, it's not high on my priority list, so I wouldn't want Russ to spend a lot of time on it when there are other things that need to be fixed. I don't know if it would be easy to do.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree