1. Standard membernonnymoose
    Average Guy
    Chicago, IL
    Moves
    01 Nov '05 03:22
    I'd love to have the ability to make not only my move, but "if my oponent makes this move, then I want to make that move".

Of course they may not make the predicted move, but if they did, I'd already have my reply automatically made, and it would be their move again.

It would be nice to be able to save openings in this manner. My first 4 or 5 moves could well be loaded up.....and my openant might very well have a set of openings loaded himself...and we'd get right to the meat of the game much faster.

Lee
  2. Standard memberWildfire
    Force of Nature
    The Bathroom
    Moves
    01 Nov '05 03:28
    Originally posted by nonnymoose
    I'd love to have the ability to make not only my move, but "if my oponent makes this move, then I want to make that move".

Of course they may not make the predicted move, but if they did, I'd already have my reply automatically made, and it would be their move again.

It would be nice to be able to save openings in this manner. My first 4 or 5 m ...[text shortened]... set of openings loaded himself...and we'd get right to the meat of the game much faster.

Lee
    An interesting idea. The problem is, it would take a hell of programming to get it installed, and is it really that much of a hassle to make the moves?
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    01 Nov '05 09:35
    This is on the radar - and will happen.

-Russ
  4. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    01 Nov '05 11:43
    Originally posted by Russ

-Russ
    Wow, good going, Russ!

IF- Russ programs conditional moves into the game interface,

THEN- he will have succeeded in making an already great chess site even better.
  5. Connecticut
    Moves
    01 Nov '05 13:37
    Originally posted by Natural Science
    Wow, good going, Russ!

IF- Russ programs conditional moves into the game interface,

THEN- he will have succeeded in making an already great chess site even better.
    map{move(e4);}(@allofMyGames);

😛 Sorry, I'm a dork.

I like this idea, too!
  6. Mumbai, India
    Moves
    01 Nov '05 15:21
    Good Idea! But needs to implemented with a bit of simplicity.
  7. Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    01 Nov '05 16:50
    When this happens, this is going to be the best website in the world.

Not just the greatest chess site, which it already is.
  8. Standard membernonnymoose
    Average Guy
    Chicago, IL
    Moves
    02 Nov '05 05:07
    Originally posted by Russ

-Russ
    Great! And to answer "why" -- it speeds games. Particularly in the opening or the endgame where there area only a couple realistic moves...or even just one legal move.

I can make my move, wait until the next day because my opponent didn't log on until 30min after I left....and make my move...and then wait another day...and so on.

Or, when my opponent moves, and he made the move I thought he would, he immediately sees my reply.
  9. Mumbai, India
    Moves
    02 Nov '05 13:57
    One more similar suggestion.

There are often cases especially in the end games when there is only one legal move a player can make. So I think this should be automatically played and the player should be notified. This would save some time as well.

There is no point waiting because there is only one move the player can make.
  10. Dublin
    Moves
    02 Nov '05 17:39
    Originally posted by yashsr
    There are often cases especially in the end games when there is only one legal move a player can make. So I think this should be automatically played and the player should be notified. This would save some time as well.

They might want to resign or offer a draw though.
  11. Johannesburg
    Moves
    02 Nov '05 19:08
    Originally posted by yashsr
    One more similar suggestion.

😕 I shudder to think how many cheating accusations this will add to the en passant list.

More seriously though, this gets complicated in that it could prevent someone claiming a draw-by-repetition.

However, being able state that when your opponent plays X, you will play Y is just as good. Instead of you making two moves in a row, your opponent does.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree