Accounting for Timeout wins/losses

Accounting for Timeout wins/losses

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

k
Patently Geeky

US Midwest

Moves
17 Feb 06

I was wondering if there would be a way to list the number of wins and losses by TOs as compared to checkmates and resignations. Or even the total points gained/lost due to TOs.

It would be an interesting thing to me.

Thanks.

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
17 Feb 06

Originally posted by kwgoodwin
I was wondering if there would be a way to list the number of wins and losses by TOs as compared to checkmates and resignations. Or even the total points gained/lost due to TOs.

It would be an interesting thing to me.

Thanks.
I disagree with this proposal.

There are many reasons for time outs.
Players may change their time out policies.
At the end of the day a win is a win.

If you are that interested you can go through a players games and see how they won the game.

m
Moo

UK

Moves
18 Feb 06

Losses by timeout I could agree with, because it's a player's responsibility to see through the games that he or she takes on, and a large amount of losses by timeout could indicate an unreliable player or someone who is trying to sandbag for a tourny.

Wins by timeout though I do not think should be on a player's profile, because the fact that someone chooses to take a skull should not discriminate against them in any way.

t

my island

Moves
18 Feb 06

Originally posted by mrmist
Wins by timeout though I do not think should be on a player's profile, because the fact that someone chooses to take a skull should not discriminate against them in any way.
why

k
Patently Geeky

US Midwest

Moves
18 Feb 06

Originally posted by mrmist
Losses by timeout I could agree with, because it's a player's responsibility to see through the games that he or she takes on, and a large amount of losses by timeout could indicate an unreliable player or someone who is trying to sandbag for a tourny.

I take timeouts. I wasn't looking at "discriminating" against anyone due seeing how much their score was affected by timeouts. I was more interested in seeing if someone's score was lower than expected due to timeouts against them.

m
Moo

UK

Moves
18 Feb 06

Originally posted by trevor33
why
because there's nothing wrong with taking a timeout, that's why.

N

The sky

Moves
18 Feb 06

I take timeouts. I wasn't looking at "discriminating" against anyone due seeing how much their score was affected by timeouts. I was more interested in seeing if someone's score was lower than expected due to timeouts against them.
But does the fact that someone has been timed out a lot really tell you that their score is "lower than expected"? Some people get timed out because they stop playing or play so slowly that they use up their timebank when they see that the game is lost. If someone has been timed out a lot due to holidays, illness or whatever, you'll usually be able to see that easily in their rating graph.

k
Patently Geeky

US Midwest

Moves
20 Feb 06

Originally posted by Nordlys
But does the fact that someone has been timed out a lot really tell you that their score is "lower than expected"? Some people get timed out because they stop playing or play so slowly that they use up their timebank when they see that the game is lost. If someone has been timed out a lot due to holidays, illness or whatever, you'll usually be able to see that easily in their rating graph.
The problem is you can't see if their loss was a "Real" loss or a timeout from the graph.

I guess I'm having trouble understanding the "fear" of seeing the timeout records. Are you ashamed of timing out someone or being timed out? I don't get it.

N

The sky

Moves
20 Feb 06

The problem is you can't see if their loss was a "Real" loss or a timeout from the graph.

I guess I'm having trouble understanding the "fear" of seeing the timeout records. Are you ashamed of timing out someone or being timed out? I don't get it.
The problem is that a timeout loss can also be a "real" loss (when a player stops moving because he knows the game is lost). And if people resign all their games because they know they won't be able to play for a few months, these losses are not "real" losses, but wouldn't show as timeouts. Therefore I don't see how showing the timeout records would add something meaningful. I don't fear seeing those records, I simply think they would be superfluous.

k
Patently Geeky

US Midwest

Moves
20 Feb 06

Originally posted by Nordlys
The problem is that a timeout loss can also be a "real" loss (when a player stops moving because he knows the game is lost). And if people resign all their games because they know they won't be able to play for a few months, these losses are not "real" losses, but wouldn't show as timeouts. Therefore I don't see how showing the timeout records would add some ...[text shortened]... meaningful. I don't fear seeing those records, I simply think they would be superfluous.
I disagree. For example, if I see that 1/2 of someone's losses are due to TOs, then I'd take a closer look before putting them against someone from my clan of a similar ranking as they probably are above the purported skill level.

PoPeYe

This is embarrasking

Moves
21 Feb 06

I disagree. For example, if I see that 1/2 of someone's losses are due to TOs, then I'd take a closer look before putting them against someone from my clan of a similar ranking as they probably are above the purported skill level.
I think that my ratings are artificially higher than it truly is as most players resign so early that it is not a clear win on my part. More of a gift I feel. Are you saying that you feel many people resign so their ratings won't increase so they can be a ringer in a clan challenge?

k
Patently Geeky

US Midwest

Moves
02 Jun 06

Originally posted by cashthetrash
I think that my ratings are artificially higher than it truly is as most players resign so early that it is not a clear win on my part. More of a gift I feel. Are you saying that you feel many people resign so their ratings won't increase so they can be a ringer in a clan challenge?
No, I'm simply saying that it would be nice to understand all of the circumstances that lead to a players ranking.

I, for example, have taken a number of timeout and believe I'm ranked higher than I should be due to that. However, as I was in tournaments and League games with time limits, I'm not ashamed of taking such timeouts nor to I feel the need to hide that fact from others.

If you believe timeouts are justified, then you shouldn't have a problem sharing the number of timeouts that you have done.

If you believe timeouts are NOT justified, then you should WANT to see the number of timeouts taken by, and against, others.

T

USA

Moves
04 Jun 06
2 edits

As any rated game in 'real life', if the clock flips a red flag, you lose.

No matter how well the horse runs, if he doesn't run fast enough, it's still a loss.

If time-outs weren't available, then people would just have something new to complain about.

Don't want to lose points due to a time-out? Then don't play a rated game or finish a rated game as agreed.

Simple as that.

As far as understanding how a person achieved their points, why in the world would that matter? Would you be more likely to challenge someone who's won more due to time-outs than someone who won by checkmate?

ID

Moves
04 Jun 06

ID

Moves
04 Jun 06