1. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 19:15
    Just an idea, not even sure it would work in practice, but writing it down now as my dinner is ready and I will have forgotten afterwards...

My idea is for a game format with 0 days timeout and only a small timebank for each player (say 1 day) at the start, then when white moves, the black clock starts reducing, with this time being added to whites timebank. When black moves, the opposite occurs.

This would encourage fast play, for those that like fast games, just with a slightly different twist - as the chance of the game being decided by a timeout would be decreased slightly.

Something similar happens on uchess with the increment option, this idea differs in that there is a fixed pot of time available between both players so the moves must keep happening.

Just a thought anyway... any views?
  2. Joined
    19 Oct '03
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 23:35
    i think that is a very good idea...reced!!
  3. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 23:51
    very interesting idea.
    unfortunatley, i think you would end up having to match your opponents rate of movement.
    this would be dangerous in the real world ... i think timeouts would be abusable.
    better is the style we have now.
  4. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    27 Mar '05 12:19
    The problem I have with this style of game, is the time zones we are in.

You would need to match your games to others in similar time zones, or at least, those who play at the same GMT +- x time.

5. Dhaka
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 11:42
    that is a very interesting idea but not a good one at all. Instead fischer time control can be introduced...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree