1. Joined
    05 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '06 18:39
    Hello, I would like to suggest another filter for creating open invites. I prefer playing subscribers only, and have noticed several other open invites state "Subscriber Only" for game name.

I have to continually delete the accepted game, and create a new open invite because people are accepting the game, despite my game name, riddled with CAPS, asterisks, and exclamation points.

Just an idea.
  2. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '06 20:001 edit
    Originally posted by SJ247
    I prefer playing subscribers only...
    I've asked many times why some subscribers would want to do that, but I've received no answer. Perhaps that indicates there's really no reason for it?

It seems to me that if the opponent is a strong enough player it doesn't really matter whether it's a subscriber or not.
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Jan '06 20:23
    Originally posted by stocken
    I've asked many times why some subscribers would want to do that, but I've received no answer. Perhaps that indicates there's really no reason for it?

It seems to me that if the opponent is a strong enough player it doesn't really matter whether it's a subscriber or not.
    I don't think Russ wants newbies to be ostracised by subs.

Makes business sense.

D
  4. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '06 20:38
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I don't think Russ wants newbies to be ostracised by subs.

Makes business sense.

D
    Yes, that would be a good reason for him to not implementing the requested filter. But, I still don't understand why some would want to filter out non-subscribers in the first place. It makes no sense to me.
  5. Joined
    05 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '06 23:48
    Yes, that would be a good reason for him to not implementing the requested filter. But, I still don't understand why some would want to filter out non-subscribers in the first place. It makes no sense to me.
    I like to know who I am playing. It wouldn't surprise me to find that some players recreate id after id.
  6. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 00:45
    I like to know who I am playing. It wouldn't surprise me to find that some players recreate id after id.
    Just challenge Subs directly then. You can find active subs via the player tables.
  7. Joined
    05 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 01:28
    Originally posted by rhb
    Just challenge Subs directly then. You can find active subs via the player tables.
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.
  8. Joined
    05 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 01:34
    Not effective, if a player doesn't have a filter for rating requirements, such as 900-100, or 1300+, or 2000+, they have a filter to require timebanks of 14 days plus, such as yours. I tried your advice, and attempted to throw a challenge your way.

I am not interested in making nonsub players feel excluded or anything, but I see no harm in a filter for sub players, no more than one requiring a ridiculously long timebank, or ridiculously high rating.
  9. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 07:02
    The problem is, you don't know "who" you're playing with whether they're subs or non-subs. Unless they're personal acquaintances of yours. It is possible to buy a subscription for someone else, so in theory there could be multiple accounts payed for and used by the same real person.

The question is, does it really matter to you? Also, I wonder why it would matter to the siteowner(s) (I'm still not clear whether there's just Russ or a bunch of people working on this site). If non-paying members create multiple accounts (something that would be quite hard to detect), then yes, that's a load on the servers. If subscribers create multiple accounts (and pay for them) then that's more money coming in. As a owner of the site I would welcome that. (Although, I am fully aware that it's forbidden to create multiple accounts.)

And to me, personally, it doesn't really matter who's at the other end of the board. I'm mostly here to play chess against whomever, and not to make new friends or anything. So, if I happen to play the same player in three games but thinking it's actually three different players, it doesn't matter much to me.

But that's just me. And who am I? You'll never know... 😉
  10. Joined
    05 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 15:40
    The problem is, you don't know "who" you're playing with whether they're subs or non-subs. Unless they're personal acquaintances of yours. It is possible to buy a subscription for someone else, so in theory there could be multiple accounts payed for and used by the same real person.

The question is, does it really matter to you? Also, I wonder why it woul ...[text shortened]... atter much to me.

But that's just me. And who am I? You'll never know... 😉
    Word.
  11. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 16:49
    Originally posted by rhb
    I prefer a message before a random challenge. Thanks.

If you want to play subs only - join or start a clan. Enter all tournaments going.

However nonsubs are also worthy opponents.
  12. Standard memberJohn of Reading
    Scotch addict
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 20:07
    I wouldn't like to see additional discrimination against non-subscribers.

There was a comment a couple of months ago by an Indian player - I'm sorry I can't remember the name or the forum/thread - to the effect that $30 is a large sum of money in some parts of the world.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree