1. Standard memberNatsia
    Lippy Brat
    Moves
    10 Jun '07 18:182 edits
    Hi there, love the site, just have a few simple suggestions.

First off the forums: there are a constant supply of new forums coming in across all boards: from general to site ideas.
    I have a suggestion for displaying these posts so that they are a little more "user friendly"
    I suggest introducing icons which tell you the status on all threads to the left hand side, these icons will help users keep track of popular threads, threads they have not yet seen or generally which threads they have posted in already.
    Such as http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/8998/iconsuggestionsjh0.jpg

Also, while being able to go to the last post of a thread, this is not always a good way of reading though threads you are interested in, perhaps we could have page number links? In this way users would be able to pick up on topics where they left off, rather than have to cycle through all the pages to get where they last recall having read.

I also think that an advanced search option should be made avaliable, something which would allow a user to be more specific when he or she is searching, Username alone isn't always the best.
    Perhaps something where one could search by a keyword, username, date, and which forum they are searching.

I also notice that while you do allow hyperlinks, you disallow linking images ([img] [/img] tags). Which I personally find a little cumbersome, granted this is done in order to keep the content clean, but surely this could be allowed for some images?

Then just one question: how is one able to delete old games from their archive folder? These things tend to get full and messy, and having additional folders can add to that problem. Yes I do understand that people study their past boards. Just wondering.

Thanks!
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    10 Jun '07 19:181 edit
    Originally posted by Natsia
    Hi there, love the site, just have a few simple suggestions.

First off the forums: there are a constant supply of new forums coming in across all boards: from general to site ideas.
    I have a suggestion for displaying these posts so that they are a little more "user friendly"
    I suggest introducing icons which tell you the status on all threads to the lef problem. Yes I do understand that people study their past boards. Just wondering.

Thanks!
    Some good ideas. Here's a few tips for you to achieve some of what you suggest...
    "I suggest introducing icons which tell you the status on all threads to the left hand side, these icons will help users keep track of popular threads, threads they have not yet seen or generally which threads they have posted in already."

If you use the Firefox browser, ouroboros has written greasemonkey scripts to keep track of forums you have read/posted in/not read. And you can also bookmark threads within the RHP interface. They are very easy to set up, and absolutely priceless for this site. Check out the link in my forum location for the scripts.

"Also, while being able to go to the last post of a thread, this is not always a good way of reading though threads you are interested in, perhaps we could have page number links?"

Agreed. I think there should be 20 pages, 10 either side of the current page. You can use the address bar to navigate to certain pages if you like.

"Perhaps something where one could search by a keyword, username, date, and which forum they are searching."
    There is already limited functionality for this. If you search forums, you can choose to do a google search(Link underneath the Search button). This allows you to search for keywords and username. Again I agree that it would be great if you could limit your search results to certain forums, or between certain dates.

"Then just one question: how is one able to delete old games from their archive folder?"
    You can't delete old games. Every game ever played on here is stored, and most are available in the games explorer. You can create a "Bin" folder, and move games that you'd like to delete to this folder, and never think about it again.

D

[EDIT] Here's a screen grab of the threads script in action.
    http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/5142/threadscw5.jpg
    As you can see, the bold threads haven't been read, the non-bolded ones have. The coloured dots on the left mean: yellow (I haven't posted), Green (I have posted), Red (I posted last)
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '07 21:35
    Good, but not new ideas.
    I would second the previous suggestions - for a massive improvement.
  4. Standard memberNatsia
    Lippy Brat
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 14:47
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Create a "Bin" folder, and move games that you'd like to delete to this folder, and never think about it again.
    Genius!

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to check them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree