Alert button

Alert button

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DS

Moves
14 Jun 09

Should be available to non-sub scum too.
After all it's not what you would class as a subscriber "benefit" and indeed the reason non-subs don't have the alert facility is "to prevent abuse", but I submit it has the opposite effect.

Maybe after a non-sub member has been here for a certain time it should be enabled; it's for the benefit of the site.

Thanks.

Highlander

Planet Earth

Moves
14 Jun 09

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
After all it's not what you would class as a subscriber "benefit" and indeed the reason non-subs don't have the alert facility is "to prevent abuse", but I submit it has the opposite effect.

Maybe after a non-sub member has been here for a certain time it should be enabled; it's for the benefit of the site.

Thanks.
Even if you don't have this facility surely you can still send feedback ?? slower sure, should work though.

DS

Moves
14 Jun 09

Originally posted by Mctayto
Even if you don't have this facility surely you can still send feedback ?? slower sure, should work though.
True , non subs can still send feedback and pm moderators...but it tends to put you off from bothering. 🙂

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
14 Jun 09

True , non subs can still send feedback and pm moderators...but it tends to put you off from bothering. 🙂
Well if you do it that way it wouldn't be an alert just for the sake of alerting. We are going to think twice before PM'ing a mod or sending feedback is the alert really worth it, and if it isn't perhaps it isn't worth the "alert moderator" either?

h

Moves
14 Jun 09

I agree, it should be available.

My suggestion is that once a non-sub has made 5000 moves he/she should be given the privilege to alert posts. I don't think it should be based on time, as you suggest, because time alone does not give any indication of participation or devotion.

I also think we need more moderators as the current volunteers are (through no fault of their own) incapable of persistently moderating the forums 24 hours a day. If this idea is implemented it will compound their work even further.

DS
I'm A Mighty Pirateâ„¢

PaTROLLING the forum

Moves
14 Jun 09

Originally posted by hopscotch
My suggestion is that once a non-sub has made 5000 moves he/she should be given the privilege to alert posts. I don't think it should be based on time, as you suggest, because time alone does not give any indication of participation or devotion.
As it's a forum related function I don't think amount of moves is appropriate either.

How about about allowing non-subs to apply for the function and then having the moderators or admins pick the ones that are allowed it. That way you'd only be giving it to a select bunch of non-subs that are interested in helping tidy up the forums and that would be trusted not to abuse the system.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
15 Jun 09

Originally posted by Daemon Sin
As it's a forum related function I don't think amount of moves is appropriate either.

How about about allowing non-subs to apply for the function and then having the moderators or admins pick the ones that are allowed it. That way you'd only be giving it to a select bunch of non-subs that are interested in helping tidy up the forums and that would be trusted not to abuse the system.
That idea in it self, sounds like favoritism, if it was given to one it would have to be given to all. Not given as a popularity contest! I don't believe the Moderators are mind readers, who would know in advance who would abuse the system and who would not.

The only way they would know, is if the non-subs had been subs before. The question then becomes is it fair to give the function to one group and not the other.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
15 Jun 09

Good idea.

Maybe Russ should give this to people who have made X amount of moves, Y amount of posts and has been using the site for Z amount of time.
This should make sure that there is no abuse of the system.

t

Moves
15 Jun 09

Originally posted by Crowley
Good idea.

Maybe Russ should give this to people who have made X amount of moves, Y amount of posts and has been using the site for Z amount of time.
Except there are probably many more people who read and don't post then there are regular posters. Why can't they alert the mods?

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
15 Jun 09

Good idea.

Again, if one group of non-subs are allowed to alert, and another group are not, that would certainly show favoritism.

I believe it is the goal of both Admins and the Moderators involved to treat everyone equal.

h

Moves
15 Jun 09

Originally posted by Very Rusty
Again, if one group of non-subs are allowed to alert, and another group are not, that would certainly show favoritism.

I believe it is the goal of both Admins and the Moderators involved to treat everyone equal.
MAYBE RUSS SHOULD GIVE THIS TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE MADE X AMOUNT OF MOVES, Y AMOUNT OF POSTS AND HAVE BEEN USING THE SITE FOR Z AMOUNT OF TIME.

THIS SHOULD MAKE SURE THAT THERE IS NO ABUSE OF THE SYSTEM.

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
15 Jun 09

Good idea.

So User 178703 who has been a member of the site for nearly 4 years would have to meet certain eligibility criteria to do so, yet a new user such as (picked at random) User 505370 who paid up on 25th May 2009 gets the ability immediately, just for paying up.

The ability to alert a post should be available to all and, if a user, whether a sub or not, abuses the feature, then the feature is withdrawn for that user.

Moves
15 Jun 09

so you believe a noob who's just joined the site a few days, you know the one who enter general every now and then to post crap. you think they should be given the same forum rights as say, demon sin, doc or no1twit who have been subs before and use the forums quite often?

give me a beak, i like this idea, i rec'ed it but i do think it should only be given to non-subs who have either posted x amount of posts here or have been on the site for a couple of years. moves should not come into it.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
15 Jun 09
2 edits

Originally posted by trev33
so you believe a noob who's just joined the site a few days, you know the one who enter general every now and then to post crap. you think they should be given the same forum rights as say, demon sin, doc or no1twit who have been subs before and use the forums quite often?

give me a beak, i like this idea, i rec'ed it but i do think it should only be give ...[text shortened]... t of posts here or have been on the site for a couple of years. moves should not come into it.
We got noobs here who have the alert button and don't use it!

You can't give one group of non-subs something and not give the other, without looking like you are showing favoritism.

A non-sub is a non-sub rather they been here x number of days y number of days or z number of days.

They want to do do the "alert" pay up like the rest of us have done, it is quite simple. It is only pennys a day for the subscription!

Next you will be telling me 'no one' and the others you mentioned can't afford the pennys a day. Perhaps ask them why they haven't re-newed their subscription. It is usually because of some protest.

Moves
15 Jun 09

We got noobs here who have the alert button and don't use it!

You can't give one group of non-subs something and not give the other, without looking like you are showing favoritism.

A non-sub is a non-sub rather they been here x number of days y number of days or z number of days.

They want to do do the "alert" pay up like the rest of us have done, it is quite simple. It is only pennys a day for the subscription!
you didn't answer my question. non-sub like demon sin, doc and no1twit who have all been subs in the past, who all contribute to the forums and who are well known by the mods, you think they should be allowed to alert posts just because for whatever reasons (chess related maybe) that they did pay the $30 his year?

it's not 'showing favoritism' it's showing that you reward members that gain trust.