1. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '09 10:39
    I'd like to suggest that RHP allow computer players under certain restrictions:

1) Special application. The computer account is declared as such - either a (C) in the name, or something special.
    2) Play must be automated - generally some sort of always on, instant response. Perhaps on during fixed hours.
    3) Some way to restrict the number of games that a given player has against the computer (i.e. one at a time, max of 10 in a month). This could also be done on the client side - refuse games if the player exceed this.
    4) Preference given to people who write their own engine. Using commercial engines may need permission, so should be restricted. We don't need 20 people running different versions of Fritz.
    5) Profile should give some information about hard and software.
    6) The idea is not to have the strongest possible engine, but rather something which people can play against. Ideally there should be a bunch of engines, rated from 700 to say 2200 (there are only 35 people above this, so I would not expect any demand) at 100 point intervals.
    7) Probably exclude from tourneys. Probably the engines should accept challenges, and be able to issue open invites, but not issue challenges.
    8) Possibly only available to people who have played here as a person for some time - they have showed interest, and may be more likely to stay around.

The use of engines outside these special accounts would remain strictly forbidden.

Something similar has been suggested before, Thread 16815, though the guy making the suggestion appeared more interested in strong engines. It was also some time ago, so different people were active, and opinions may have changed.

Benefits I see:
    - It is clear that if I want to play a computer, I can select a computer account; anyone cheating by using a computer is just being rude.
    - There is something against which new players can judge themselves. Can I beat the Computer1600? What about Computer1800?
    - Existing players can judge progress too; if the computer hardware and software are constant, then the computer should always play at the same level.
    - Quick games would be guaranteed by point 2.
    - If point 2 is applied, there is no temptation to use the computer in your own games.

So what do you think? Is there a benefit in having this?
    If you think it is a bad idea, why? What are the disadvantages?

Cheers,
    Gezza
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '09 18:031 edit
    Originally posted by gezza

1) Special application. The computer account is declared as such - either a (C) in the name, or something special.
    2) Play must be automated - generally some sort of always on, instant response. Perhaps on during fixed hours.
    3) Some way to restrict the number of games that a ving this?

Cheers,
    Gezza
    Try Gameknot - they allow them "unofficially". 😕
  3. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '09 02:03
    Originally posted by gezza

3) Some way to restrict the number of games that a ...[text shortened]... ving this?

Cheers,
    Gezza
    There are plenty of other sites that allow engine use.
    Play there
  4. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    06 Mar '09 02:101 edit
    Tell your computer to hit the weight room. There is no room for weak computers here.
  5. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 11:13
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    Tell your computer to hit the weight room. There is no room for weak computers here.
    Indeed. Everyone seems to want the best computer possible. There seems little tolerance for anything which goes outside that line.

To the good Dr, and Mr. Cold:
    I looked at GN when I started playing correspondence chess. The T&Cs were obnoxious with regard to who owns posted content (copyright on moves anyone??) - they may have changed since, but I am no longer interested - subscription to one site is enough. I have little need to look elsewhere, as I am happy playing here.

The line was really that a few "official" computer players could further help discourage people using engines to "help" - why would I want to play your computer when I can chose to play against an "official" engine?

So much for discussion of site ideas. I read Dr. S's suggestion as being that if I want to try the idea, GN might accept it (but by implication, this site will not). Mr. Cold suggested that I take my computer and play elsewhere. Not really what I had in mind when I asked why it was a bad idea.

No cheering crowds promoting the idea, nor hissing masses telling why it is bad. Shame. I'll take the general apathy as meaning that people do not give a stuff either way, and that my time would be better spent on my games.

Hasta la promixa!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree